S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New S2000 Technical Questions

Old 02-15-2001, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VA S2K
[B]I toured the Corvette plant in Bowling Green once.
Old 02-15-2001, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

txst, you may also want to check out the following thread http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=6594

Here in Oz, we are given an oil and filter change for free as part of the 1st service which is scheduled for 1,000km (600 miles). As you can probably tell from my previous posts I subscribe to the view that early and frequent oil changes are a good insurance policy.

I'm also of the opinion that recommending changing oil less frequently is a good way for manufacturers to sell more vehicles as a result of premature negine wear.

However, there are good arguments against this as well. In my experience, North America is certainly a trend setter for consumers demanding higher quality products with longer warranty periods and requiring less frequent maintenance.

Maybe in a couple of years we'll also see Honda Australia recommending the 1st oil change at 11,000km (7,000 miles) after it has proven to work in the US & Canada.
Old 02-16-2001, 11:15 AM

2Turkey, can you please share with us the EXACT oil that Honda uses in Australia for the 1000km oil change.

Two other scenarios we could employ:

1. Leave the break-in oil in the car, but just replace the filter with a new one
2. Replace the filter AND replace the oil completely with the Castrol Break-In oil that Utah recommends

After all, if the S2000 burns oil before the 3000 mile oil change and you take it to the dealer to be topped up, what oil do THEY use?

What do you all think of this, and my options above?
Old 02-16-2001, 12:26 PM

OK people, now I'm really mad. I found the number for Honda's Customer Relations number (800-999-1009) - what a bunch of morons. I asked 3 questions: 1) What is the break-in oil?; 2) At what point in production did Honda start putting in the revised clutch listed in TSB #00-054 (and if they actually did or are the revised clutches only a dealer supplied item if the customer complains), and when did they fix the 1-2 shift grind?; and 3) What has Honda found out about the #4 piston/cylinder failures?

The answers I got were as follows:
1) "It's a special oil available only at the factories." I asked if it was compatable with over the counter oil to which the answer was "It doesn't matter. You should never have to add oil until your first service at 3750 miles." To which I replied than why do they tell you to check the oil at every fill-up? Answer: "To check for problems. If you have to add oil before your first scheduled service than you have a problem." I guess that there are a lot of people on this board (like everyone) who have "problems".
2) "The TSB #00-54 and #00-055 apply only to Model Year 2000 cars." I asked if the clutch was changed in production or if dealers were supplied the new clutch only for customers who complain about the noise. Answer: "If Honda found a problem with the clutch, then I'm sure they fixed it in production." Starting when, I asked. Answer: "I don't know." I have worked for the 2 largest air conditioning manufacturers, and I can tell you of several service bulletins they have written that provide a dealer with a part or a procedure that is not in production, but used only if the customer complains, due to a variety of reasons (cost, performance degregation, undesireable for the majority of customers, unique applications, etc.)
3) "I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the engine".

I could have gotten answers like that from a salesman - it was like talking to a brick wall. I asked if there was someone that I could talk to in technical support, and I was told that only the dealer can call them.

Maybe someone else will have some luck. Being an engineer, I wan't a direct line to an engineer at Honda so I can get some straight answers.
Old 02-17-2001, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by txst
3) What has Honda found out about the #4 piston/cylinder failures?

3) "I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the engine".

I'm rolling on the floor laughing because they have never heard of

(1) Jason Saini, 2,200 miles at failure
(2) Barry in Wyoming, 650 miles at failure
(3) AutoxEx, 2,800 miles at failure
(4) a gal Jason knows 1200 miles at failure
(5) kizneda, 2,900 miles at failure
(6) Roland in New Hampshire MY2000 #8250 6,600 miles at failure
(7) Elund, 2,000 miles at failure.

Rowland is the only MY2000. The rest are all MY2001.

All of these are "engine problems" they should know about. Three are already documented to be #4 cylinder (1,2,4,)

Three more sound likely to be #4 (same "valve train like tapping sound requiring short block replacement) (5,6,7).

Only AutoxEx's engine had a more catastrophic failure sound. His might or might not have been #4 cylinder failure, but it certainly was a major engine failure.

The first six have already received new short blocks (without break-in oil.)

I think maybe Honda has some retired Firestone pr people working for them.

Barry in Wyoming
'01 #52 working fine, 350 miles on my new block. 1001 miles on my car.

[Edited by Barry WY Silver/Black '01 on 02-17-2001 at 07:36 PM]
Old 02-21-2001, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to suscribe to the Aussi theory, as they have not had any problems that I have heard of. So at 1500 I changed my oil with Redline. The worst case is I destroy my motor and I get a new one. Best case nothing happens. My .02- mabey the dirty oil is sitting in the engine too long and scoring the cylinder walls. As they are fiber, any scoring would cause catching of the fiber as well as debris in the cylinder. The scoring would then cause oil consumption as well as ultimate engine failure. I am no engineer but it seems logical enough that If we have not heard of the problem occouring in other areas, that we should impliment their policies. In this case, Australia has not had one car even use oil let alone blow a motor that I know of. I also asked Scott and he told me to change the oil at 1500. And before you say it I do realize that he sells oil and benefits from frequent changes, but I trust his mechanical expertise. Besides I have a ton of money invested in my motor mods and if it goes south I doubt that Honda will give me a new one, and taking all of this crap off will suck!!!
Old 02-22-2001, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by Sime
2Turkey, can you please share with us the EXACT oil that Honda uses in Australia for the 1000km oil change.
Sime, the dealer won't say - just quotes it as Honda FEO High Performance engine oil as per the sticker on the air filter. I've seen the plastic containers and can't determine the orginal manufacturer.