S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

new starter won't start ?

Old 03-31-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You seem to have an excessive amperage draw when hot starting. Something is pulling those amps. Or your connections to the battery, starter, and frame are very dirty. Bad new starter or bad new battery are unlikely but still possible. The new battery is a regular battery, not something low powered like an Optima I hope. My Duralast battery is rated at 625 cold cranking amps and the car starts in one second. Guys obsessed with weight start their cars with what looks like motorcycle or lawn tractor batteries.

Ya need an extremely robust ammeter to check the electrical draw but I think that's the next step if all else is good.

-- Chuck
Yeah i am also thinking something in the 'hot engine scenario'. Fuelpump or injection possible? That my car thinks he is cold but he is actually hot so to much / less fuel added for starting?

Yesterday i've cleaned my groundcable from negative to frame. Starter i replaced so brand new (not dirty). I've checked today the cable from alternator and he is clean as well.
Battery is a yuasa 3000 (400CCA)

So I should look for some Ampere leaks? But when I check it (parasitic test) i don't have leaks when he is not running?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Cold cranking amps are well below those available in my battery. Looking at the Yuasa 3000 battery data page I note there are probably 20 batteries in the 3000 series including those with many more CCA. Not sure which actually fit our cars. Nor what CCA are required. More is usually better in this application.

Excessive voltage drop under load indicates a weak battery. New, electrically undersized battery is by definition weaker. I recall anything under 9.6vDC is bad. Certainly anything under 9v under load is unlikely to start the car. A multimeter can test this easily. That's all those load meters are is a voltmeter with a large resistance load to simulate the starter.

HTH,

-- Chuck
Old 04-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Cold cranking amps are well below those available in my battery. Looking at the Yuasa 3000 battery data page I note there are probably 20 batteries in the 3000 series including those with many more CCA. Not sure which actually fit our cars. Nor what CCA are required. More is usually better in this application.

Excessive voltage drop under load indicates a weak battery. New, electrically undersized battery is by definition weaker. I recall anything under 9.6vDC is bad. Certainly anything under 9v under load is unlikely to start the car. A multimeter can test this easily. That's all those load meters are is a voltmeter with a large resistance load to simulate the starter.

HTH,

-- Chuck
When i start my car i got a voltage drop from 12.7volt to 12.0 volt so..... I've been starting my car a couple of times these days and from the 10 starts i got 2 starts with cracking / loud noise like my starter doesn't have enough power and this only when the engine was 'hot' (motor shut down and restarted after 10 minutes at friends house).
Maybe dirty cables or bad connection? I also felt my negative cable from battery to vehicle was hot (also negative terminal of battery was feeling hot after riding)
Old 04-03-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you post a recording of the cracking/loud sound?

Do you have 12.0 volts at the battery during the long time it takes to start when you get the cracking/loud sound?

Can you measure the voltage right at the starter? 12 volts is perfect, if it's all getting to the starter.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:01 PM

A 12v car battery measuring 12v at rest is 50% discharged. 12v under starter load should be more than enough.

Does the car have the OEM size battery cables? Thin cables have higher resistance and can get hot. We already know it has an undersized battery.

-- Chuck
Old 04-04-2017, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by waino
Can you post a recording of the cracking/loud sound?

Do you have 12.0 volts at the battery during the long time it takes to start when you get the cracking/loud sound?

Can you measure the voltage right at the starter? 12 volts is perfect, if it's all getting to the starter.
I have 12.0 volts when i press the startbutton, in rest i have 12.7 volt so this should be fine.
I don't have a record of this because it just happens sometimes. 2/10 times starting badly.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:21 AM

A 12v car battery measuring 12v at rest is 50% discharged. 12v under starter load should be more than enough.

Does the car have the OEM size battery cables? Thin cables have higher resistance and can get hot. We already know it has an undersized battery.

-- Chuck
My battery is 100% loaded in rest (12.7volt).
I think it's the OEM size battery cables? How does it look like? I've got a very short one with black rubber around it for the negative pool and positive pool is covered into tubes. you got a pic?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:23 AM

Name:  IMG_1999_zpssihmozbo.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  431.0 KB

-- Chuck
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

s2kBelg: can you describe more fully what is happening during the 10-15 seconds before it starts, when you get the loud/cracking sounds? Is the engine turning over fast enough that you think it should get going? Or is the engine turning over slowly or not at all, until finally it does turn over and starts right up?

Assuming your starter motor is working correctly, it is the job of the solenoid to push the pinion gear into the ring gear on the flywheel, and only after this is done will the starter begin spinning at full speed. The solenoid gets its power through your ignition switch or a relay controlled by the ignition switch (I don't have the wiring diagram handy so I'm not positive which it is), NOT through the fat cable that comes straight from the battery. Therefore, you might have a problem with this solenoid wiring, which could explain why your dash lights blink (they might be fed by the same circuit).

Either that, or your starter is defective, and is spinning its motor before the pinion gear has fully engaged the ring gear, so the gears are grinding/hitting against each other.

That's my guess.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:31 AM

-- Chuck
yes , got the same cable from negative. I've sprayed it with brakecleaner to clean it but i saw 3 weeks ago it was smoking when i was trying to start with my old battery. So i 've cleaned it with water and towels

Quick Reply: new starter won't start ?