S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No Oil!!!!!! Nada Zilch!!!!

Old 09-21-2001, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I must admit I have never checked my oil. Maybe once, but found it too hard to read so I think "forget it, let the dealer handle this."

So I drove my car yesterday and suddenly at the corner of my eye I happened to see the "low oil pressure indicator" light lit up. I got a shocked and quickly find a place where I can check the oil level. After a couple of seconds after I saw the light, it went off. It never came on again.

Never the less I still went ahead to find a place to stop and check the oil level. I got very conflicting results. Sometimes it is totally smeared from top to bottom, as in the whole stick, not just the xxxxxxx marks, and sometimes there is nothing.

As a precaution I went to buy 2 quarts of mobil oil. When I was at the autostore I checked the oil level again and this time it still produce the same results.

Both times before I checked the oil level, I let the engine rest for 3-5 minutes.

I got home, went on the forum, check all the threads regarding
1)how to check oil level
2)how much oil is enough(I follow some threads in the past but that was some time ago)

The advice was to wait overnight to get an accurate result.

This morning, I went out to check again. This time it is almost totally clean at both sides. There were oil on the sides of the stick, not near the xxxxxx, but on top of them, probably from the smearing. I added 1/3 quart in, HOLYMAMA the bottom of the stick(below the xxxxx) started showing some oil reading. I quickly pour another 2/3 and yup, the level went up. Take note that oil level at this time is wayyyyy below the xxxxxxx, but it is a very clear indicator. I tried dipping the stick in, taking several readings, from all positions(left, right, front of the car) and though they produce different results, it is clear that the oil level has increased but still below the xxxxx. I poured the remaining oil in(2 quarts)and it reached the bottom of the first xxxxxxx.

I am going to buy some more later on.

My car was serviced at 7000miles, I think. Now it is at 10000miles. My question is this:

1)Why did it burn so much oil? Or the mechanic at the dealer messed up somewhere?
2)Why didn't the low oil pressure indicator light stay on to alert me?
3)Any serious damage? I don't vtec my car often, maybe like 6 times a week on average. So that is like once a day.
4)After adding oil, the car seems smother. It used to lurch when I change gear and I thought it was my driving. But now the sympton is less pronounced. could it be due to the oil or am I making this up in my mind?

thanks
Old 09-21-2001, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nwk00
- snip -
1)Why did it burn so much oil? Or the mechanic at the dealer messed up somewhere?
New cars typically burn some oil- this is a result of unseated piston rings and in general, the engine not being broken in yet. This is partly why you are supposed to take it easy during break in.

2)Why didn't the low oil pressure indicator light stay on to alert me?
Because it's oil pressure, not oil level. I don't know specifically on our car, but these are usually low pressure switches, below 20 psi or so they switch on. Keep in mind that while the switch may not come on below 20psi, you may experience severe engine damage in the process- oil pressure is typically around 50 at high RPMs, 30 or so at idle.

The dispstick only indicates the top quart in the XX's, probably another half quart or so below that. You still likely had 3 quarts or so in the car, so there was still oil. The light probably came on when the sump ran dry due to the low level, and the pump was working air momentarily (i.e. no oil, so your pressure dropped).

[B][QUOTE]
3)Any serious damage? I don't vtec my car often, maybe like 6 times a week on average. So that is like once a day.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:57 AM

Don't have any input on why your S2000 is burning so much oil; you may have a "bad" engine that needs warranty repair.
Some advice: Honda Motors monitors this board and you should be careful when providing details on a mechanical problem that might be your doing (I never check the oil level).
Don't void that warranty!!
Old 09-21-2001, 07:35 AM

Could be that the dealer forgot to put the oil in at the 7K service. I can't imagine a healthy engine burning 5.6 quarts in 3000 miles. You would've noticed something like a great blue plume obscuring everything to your rear while driving.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:45 AM

Everyone's nightmare! Go check your oil now.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:20 AM

there's no reason for you to have burned 2 quarts of oil in 7k miles
I don't drive the snot out of my car, moderate VTECing. I have burned 2 quarts in 3,500 miles. It certainly can happen with this motor. I check my oil with EVERY gas fill up (read 225miles). You should too.

andy
Old 09-21-2001, 08:26 AM

The first thing to do after anyone changes your oil is to check the oil level yourself.
The biggest problem nwk00 has is that he doesn't know if there was oil added and he's burning/leaking, or if there was no oil added.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:49 AM

I also have a oil consumption problem. Granted, I did not buy the car new (7900 miles), and have only had it for a little over a month. I have put on close to 2000 miles on it since. I haven't really ragged the car out, mostly normal driving. But anyways, I checked my oil level last week, and came to find that I had pretty much consumed most of my oil!!! I don't know if this is an engine defect, because I haven't noticed any oil leaks or anything. I added about 2 1/2 quarts. Again, I bought the car used, so I don't know if the previous owner "broke it in" right or not. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 09-21-2001, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]

I'm not sure what you mean by lurch. Has damage been done? Certainly. Anytime that light comes on, you have a SERIOUS problem. How much damage? If the light came on and went off, probably not much. You probably aged the bearings 10, 20, or 30k miles. Honda makes stout motors, you are probably OK.
Old 09-21-2001, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedMenace
[B]Don't have any input on why your S2000 is burning so much oil; you may have a "bad" engine that needs warranty repair.
Some advice: Honda Motors monitors this board and you should be careful when providing details on a mechanical problem that might be your doing (I never check the oil level).

Quick Reply: No Oil!!!!!! Nada Zilch!!!!