S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Notchy/Slight Grind into 2nd and 3rd

Old 01-02-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy/Slight Grind into 2nd and 3rd

Hey everyone,

I am new s2k owner and new to this site. I've noticed that my car (05, 73k) has a slight grind or what can be described as a notch when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear. I've read the common problems sticky and found this via google search - "Yes, just a slight hesitation while going into 2nd with constant pressure. Don't stop the rearward motion of the shifter until there is resistance going into 2nd, then keep the same pressure until the synchro does it's job, when it is finished slowing down the mainshaft it will fall into 2nd gear,". I shift the car around 4,000 rpm. I'm not sure when the MTF was replaced. I am waiting to hear back from the Dealer that I purchased it from. It was an impulse buy and I regret not getting it checked out or asking more questions. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely change the tranny fluid and you will notice a difference.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...22&t=565855&st

It should get rid of the notchiness but if it is still there second step would be to re lube the shifter.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/772...se-shifter-diy

The s2k is a pretty strong car and have one of the best feeling trannys I have ever drove. The AP2 model that you have got slightly stronger syncros then earlier models so I bet doing these two things will make you love the way the car shifts.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 AM

Welcome and congrats on your S2K.

Here are a list of things you can do that may help:

- Change trans fluid

- Change clutch fluid

- Adjust the play in your clutch pedal

- Grease your shifter
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29 AM

If you aren't already, try shifting at a higher RPM 4k and up.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Most of these light grind issues can be adjusted out with a few different procedures. There was a TSB on ap2 trannies, not sure if it would still be valid in your case , probably not, but maybe the dealer is willing to help. Mine has a slight grind into 2nd gear when I got the car, it now shifts as good as new.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by steelers743
Definitely change the tranny fluid and you will notice a difference.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...22&t=565855&st

It should get rid of the notchiness but if it is still there second step would be to re lube the shifter.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/772...se-shifter-diy

The s2k is a pretty strong car and have one of the best feeling trannys I have ever drove. The AP2 model that you have got slightly stronger syncros then earlier models so I bet doing these two things will make you love the way the car shifts.
Alright, I'll bring her to a Honda dealership. Thank you!

Originally Posted by meccjoo
Welcome and congrats on your S2K.

Here are a list of things you can do that may help:

- Change trans fluid

- Change clutch fluid

- Adjust the play in your clutch pedal

- Grease your shifter
Thanks! What do you mean by "adjust the play in your clutch pedal,"? Are you referring to the way I let off the clutch?

Originally Posted by meccjoo
If you aren't already, try shifting at a higher RPM 4k and up.
Thanks for the reply. How much higher?

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Most of these light grind issues can be adjusted out with a few different procedures. There was a TSB on ap2 trannies, not sure if it would still be valid in your case , probably not, but maybe the dealer is willing to help. Mine has a slight grind into 2nd gear when I got the car, it now shifts as good as new.
Thanks! What do you mean by TSB? Is this a mfg defect or something?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Assuming a decent fluid and all other things being equal, the temp of the transmission fluid also influences its characteristics. The warmer, the better. I use Amsoil and it too feels a bit "notchy" 2-3rd but when it is up to temp it goes like butter.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Here is a link to the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the 2nd gear grind issue

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/275...into-2nd-gear/

Small things that you can have done are - adjust clutch rod to reduce the amount of freeplay, replace clutch fluid in clutch master cylinder, lube shifter, replace tranny fluid. I also like to run a heavier shift knob. A lot of the tranny issues come down to the coordination of hand movement on the shifter and foot movement on the clutch pedal, and the timing of your shifting.

Dealers won't respond well to the clutch rod freeplay request, it is easy enough to do yourself there are some threads on this DIY on the forums if you can search it up, as is the clutch fluid replacement, and even the shifter lube is easy enough to do yourself.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I'd try other solutions first starting with fresh transmission oil. The TSB only applies to MY00 AP1 cars and is an eight (8) hour repair with the gearbox out of the car. Later cars have different gear sets and synchros as well.

Gearbox takes less than two quarts of oil so it's inexpensive to change while you're under the car changing the engine oil.

-- Chuck
Old 01-03-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I would strongly advise AGAINST having the dealer do any of these service items. Too many stories of dealer screwing these cars up, then blaming you when things break.

A few issues. They just don't see enough of these cars to know how to work on them. There are some unique aspects of serving these cars that differ from other Hondas. Dealers tend to give 'easy' tasks such as fluid changes to newb techs, who are more likely to mess things up.

Tell us where you are, and maybe we can recommend an independent shop that has S experience.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Notchy/Slight Grind into 2nd and 3rd