S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Notchy/Slight Grind into 2nd and 3rd

Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Winter was a bit delayed in our region this year so I was driving the car late in December where I normally put it away by end of October. I'm running Amsoil MTF in my tranny and I've been amazed at the cold weather performance of this fluid. Driving the car in 32 F degree weather and I don't have to baby the tranny at all, the first shift is smooth as proverbial butter. Despite being a thicker fluid than Honda MTF it works surprisingly better in cold weather conditions. This has been a great fluid in my S2000, I never had any real complaints with Honda MTF so I was surprised this fluid works even better in my car.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Iirc, new members have probationary period that's blacks messaging.

There's a North Texas s2000 Facebook group. Join it. John Wallace is who you're looking for . He's the go to guy in the DFW area. I brought my car to him all the way from Odessa.
Thanks man, I'm going to meet up with him next Monday.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Winter was a bit delayed in our region this year so I was driving the car late in December where I normally put it away by end of October. I'm running Amsoil MTF in my tranny and I've been amazed at the cold weather performance of this fluid. Driving the car in 32 F degree weather and I don't have to baby the tranny at all, the first shift is smooth as proverbial butter. Despite being a thicker fluid than Honda MTF it works surprisingly better in cold weather conditions. This has been a great fluid in my S2000, I never had any real complaints with Honda MTF so I was surprised this fluid works even better in my car.
What do you like better about Amsoil vs Honda MTF?
Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's a good guy and trusted by many s2000 owners in the region.

It seems that each car tends to respond differently to the various MTF's. For my car, the ranking was (from best to worst):

1. Redline MT990
2. GM Synchromesh
3. Honda
4. Amsoil

The Amsoil felt great in mine, but just for a few hundred miles. It degraded quickly (but many swear by it). I think it just takes some experimentation.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM

John swears by Honda MTF so I'm definitely going to try that out.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
He's a good guy and trusted by many s2000 owners in the region.

It seems that each car tends to respond differently to the various MTF's. For my car, the ranking was (from best to worst):

1. Redline MT990
2. GM Synchromesh
3. Honda
4. Amsoil

The Amsoil felt great in mine, but just for a few hundred miles. It degraded quickly (but many swear by it). I think it just takes some experimentation.
I agree with MT-90 Redline.
Or you can mix MTL and MT-90 in colder weather.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:45 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Originally Posted by empire
Originally Posted by Jdrum1' timestamp='1451950984' post='23843669
Iirc, new members have probationary period that's blacks messaging.

There's a North Texas s2000 Facebook group. Join it. John Wallace is who you're looking for . He's the go to guy in the DFW area. I brought my car to him all the way from Odessa.
Thanks man, I'm going to meet up with him next Monday.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
What do you like better about Amsoil vs Honda MTF?

I swore by Honda MTF2 for the longest time, it generally worked well for me. I would have a few notchy shifts once and a while, but not many, so no real complaints with this fluid. I know it is a very thin fluid though, comparable to a 20 weight motor oil, the original Honda MTF was thicker and then they changed the formula with MTF2. In cold temps it needed a bit of babying but that isn't abnormal.

With Amsoil MTF it just seemed to work a bit better than Honda MTF2, fewer notchy shifts, so that is almost none given that I didn't have too many to begin with using the Honda fluid. I've been really surprised how well the Amsoil fluid works in cold temps, the synthetic base must be helping with cold weather performance. Amsoil MTF is thicker than Honda MTF2, comparable to a 30 weight motor oil, and closer to the original Honda MTF viscosity.

I dump my fluid once a year regardless of mileage, so a bit of over-kill, but it's cheap and easy maintenance IMO. My tranny shifts like it just came from the factory despite being 13 years old, so the Honda MTF2 obviously did it's job well for the first 11 years.

I'm also a big Red Line fluid fan, Red Line MTL is an excellent fluid, I just haven't used it in my S2000 though.

There is no perfect fluid for every S2000 tranny, as each tranny might work differently and many of us live in different regions with different climates. That's why I don't want to push any fluid on any owner. I think it is based on the amount of wear within the tranny, and the viscosity of the fluid plays a major part. I don't think any fluid between Honda MTF2, Amsoil, Synchromesh, Red Line, etc. , is going to cause increased wear on the tranny , but to find out which one works best may take some experimentation.

Tranny fluid shears with the meshing action of gears in a tranny, some fluids will shear quicker than others, as the viscosity shears down you may find reduced performance depending on the condition of your tranny. I'd say if you don't want to experiment with the cost and effort of trying different fluids then Honda MTF2 is a perfectly good/safe choice.

I always find that it sometimes takes about 2-4 weeks of use to really figure out if a fluid is working well in your tranny. It probably takes two oil change intervals (OCI's) to get a homogeneous fluid content in the tranny, as you will have some old and new fluid mixing when you change brands.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:21 AM

Took the car to John Wallace on Monday. Swapped out all the fluids and no issues yet! You guys probably all know this but John knows his shi*. Glad I found my go to guy for any issues with my car. Thanks all for the help!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's a good guy. I generally do my own work, but if it's something big, he'll be my go-to from now on.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 PM

Default 2nd to 3rd gear notchy

Ever since I got my 03 s2000 in January I have noticed a small notch from 2nd to 3rd. I have changed the transmission fluid twice (just to be sure). Put new shifter bushings/grease, replaced master and slave cylinder along with bleeding clutch with new Orem fluid. Adjusted the free play to zero. Before adjusting the free play I did experience notchy ness from 1 to 2. But since adjusting 1 to 2 notch is gone.
All of that has helped but has not cleared it up fully. So I decided to drop the tranny thinking the spline could be rusty. I got the tranny pulled out over the weekend and looked at the splines. They were not rusty but kind of gummy with grease and it was clumped up and old looking. Do you think the 3rd gear notch is from the old grease and it being the original clutch? (Car has 48k) I am planning on putting a new Orem clutch/pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing on it. Do you think my syncros are bad for 3rd or just the spline. If it’s the syncros should I just try and find a low mileage ap2 transmission. I feel like rebuilds never feel the same once being cracked open. Or should I just reinstall my original tranny grease the splines up with my new clutch and hope for the best? Thoughts
Old 09-19-2022, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by empire
Alright, I'll bring her to a Honda dealership. Thank you!

Thanks! What do you mean by "adjust the play in your clutch pedal,"? Are you referring to the way I let off the clutch?

Thanks for the reply. How much higher?

Thanks! What do you mean by TSB? Is this a mfg defect or something?
adjusting the play in the clutch pedal, there is a nut you can unscrew on your actual pedal and you can spin a rod that adjusts the dead zone of the clutch