S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   OEM Shocks rebuildable? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/oem-shocks-rebuildable-1198644/)

mavric 12-04-2019 05:59 AM

OEM Shocks rebuildable?

I picked up my S2K with cheap lowering coilovers. OEM shocks are tough to find especially with low miles. I ended up getting a set with 80k miles (eBay), Question, are these shocks rebuildable?

zze86 12-04-2019 06:44 AM

Unfortunately, the OEM units are not easily rebuildable.

I say easily simply because if you threw enough money at it, I'm sure you could do it.

B serious 12-04-2019 06:45 AM

I don't believe they are rebuildable. from memory, they looked to be crimped on the top of the body.

why would you want to, though?

A typical rebuild would be like $800 including shipping, etc. Not including the cost of all the other parts that may be worn.

80k mile shocks are probably ok...but I hope you got them cheap.

Is there a reason you want the factory shocks specifically?

mavric 12-04-2019 08:11 AM

So the raceland coilovers on the car now are junk. I don't plan on tracking the car so several have recommended going back to OEM. The Tein Flex Zs look great for the money but some have commented still harsher than OEM, especially on "bouncy" asphalt (I'm in Austin). So for the money it was worth the risk to try these eBay OEMs. Another comment was the Koni yellow set to get a near OEM quality. Any feedback greatly appreciated...

mavric 12-04-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by zze86 (Post 24668293)
Unfortunately, the OEM units are not easily rebuildable.

I say easily simply because if you threw enough money at it, I'm sure you could do it.

Thanks for confirming!

zze86 12-04-2019 10:09 AM

My car came equipped with Koni Orange units and Eibach Pro springs that lower the car ~1". The Koni Orange units are supposedly valved the same as around the midpoint settings of the Yellows.

In combination they ride well enough for street use, not overly harsh or bouncy but the rear doesn't have enough shock travel. On harsher bumps you can definitely feel the shocks hit the bumpstops and upset the suspension.

B serious 12-04-2019 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mavric (Post 24668337)
So the raceland coilovers on the car now are junk. I don't plan on tracking the car so several have recommended going back to OEM. The Tein Flex Zs look great for the money but some have commented still harsher than OEM, especially on "bouncy" asphalt (I'm in Austin). So for the money it was worth the risk to try these eBay OEMs. Another comment was the Koni yellow set to get a near OEM quality. Any feedback greatly appreciated...

Yeah, I don't know if I'd trust the Flex Z for street use.

I wouldn't want Koni or any almost other twin tube shock on this car.

Too bad Bilsteins are no longer available, eh?

What is your budget, realistically speaking?
In case you were not satisfied with your used shocks that you already bought.

HarryD 12-04-2019 12:49 PM

Hmm, unless things have changed in the last year or two, you should be able to find OEM shocks with <50k miles on them fairly easily, especially if you're OK with AP2, since people are "upgrading" to aftermarket shocks.

I had a blown shock and found a set of 4 w/ <30k miles on them for $150. Just keep an eye out on the forums, car-part.com for crashed examples, and eBay.

B serious 12-04-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD (Post 24668449)
Hmm, unless things have changed in the last year or two, you should be able to find OEM shocks with <50k miles on them fairly easily, especially if you're OK with AP2, since people are "upgrading" to aftermarket shocks.

I had a blown shock and found a set of 4 w/ <30k miles on them for $150. Just keep an eye out on the forums, car-part.com for crashed examples, and eBay.

People have put more miles on their cars in the last year or two...

noodels 12-04-2019 03:51 PM

^^ Yes I put miles on my car also, because I used it this year :scratch: