S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter question

Old 12-05-2018, 04:40 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

If there were direct replacements for the filter it might be different but it's my impression the S2000 filter is almost unique in it's construction and function. Not something ya find at the corner autoparts store.

OK, it costs $20 in Holland. 15,000 mile interval.

Labor cost? Don't need a dealer to change the oil. Jiffy Lube will do it for $50 and will use your oil and filter. But an oil and filter change on this car can be done in a few minutes with this car in your garage or driveway without a lift or even a jack. Filter can be reached from above. Engine oil can be pumped out of the dipstick port. This is done at at major Honda dealerships and by inboard boat owners the world over. Fears of not getting all the old oil out are groundless as there is always 0.8 quarts/liters left behind in the engine no matter how long you drain it.

But, it's your engine, not mine.

-- Chuck
Old 12-05-2018, 04:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
If there were direct replacements for the filter it might be different but it's my impression the S2000 filter is almost unique in it's construction and function. Not something ya find at the corner autoparts store.

OK, it costs $20 in Holland. 15,000 mile interval.

Labor cost? Don't need a dealer to change the oil. Jiffy Lube will do it for $50 and will use your oil and filter. But an oil and filter change on this car can be done in a few minutes with this car in your garage or driveway without a lift or even a jack. Filter can be reached from above. Engine oil can be pumped out of the dipstick port. This is done at at major Honda dealerships and by inboard boat owners the world over. Fears of not getting all the old oil out are groundless as there is always 0.8 quarts/liters left behind in the engine no matter how long you drain it.

But, it's your engine, not mine.

-- Chuck
They are sold as Oem spec direct replacements. So maybe that is not true information in this case then it seems.

I really enjoy the good advice I get here. Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 05:48 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

This post may help.

OEM Honda Oil Filter
Old 12-05-2018, 06:15 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Oil filters are normally so generic, that each aftermarket supplier simply uses their filter media, bypass valve and other internals, and adapts that design to whatever cars filter threads and canister size are.

Certainly there are some considerations and alterations to tbeir boilerplate design that get tweaked sometimes. Their filter for a low revving truck might be a bit different than their version for a high revving sportscar.

But the oem S2000 filter goes way beyond any of that. Its meant to be torqued down. Its got a built in metal ridge specifically for this. Its purpose built around an engine tgat revs to 9k rpm.

No aftermarket filter based around tweaking a generic design is going to replicate that.

Oh, and OP, you mentioned trying the Honda filter to see if it performs any different. This isn't something you can see or feel or detect. Its about two things:

1. Avoiding immediate and catastrophic damage due to filter coming loose at high rpm. Total engine loss and possible engine fire.

Its not like using an aftermarket filter will instantly make your car turn i to a fireball. But this has happened. More than once.

2. Avoiding cumulative long term damage from the filter running in bypass mode way too often.

The consequences of this is maybe instead of lasting 300k+ miles, your engine only lasts 200k. That sort of thing. So not something you are going to be able to sense.

For these reasons its worth the small extra cost to me, and most here, to use the oem filter.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by simons
hey @chuck Honda happens to charge about double the prices on most oem components in Europe. At least in Holland. The filter costs 20 USD here. Everything for the car here costs almost double compared to the US. Its really annoying.
I dont say 20 brakes the bank, but its the filter, its the oil, its parts, its tires, its everything.

I saved 10 bucks because I didnt think the filter would be much different. I picked one with exact identical measures and same entry holes and good build quality. But maybe next time ill buy the oem and see if the oil behaves any differently. I didnt know it was rated for 15k miles. So far the engine has been running fine last years.

What does an hour of labour cost you over there at an official dealer? Mine charges about 200-220 USD per hour. (It was 90 or 100 euros).
Here is my post in the other oil filter link. Clik on the Photobucket link and you will see how large these filters are(I even cut them open so all can see whats inside of these three filters)
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post20411800
I started using Baldwin Filters on my S back in '10 and the one in the pic has 15k miles on it. The Honda and Wix had less than 5k miles. The Baldwin in the pic is a B7042 and I used those for 45k miles(bought a three pack) and then switched over to the B202 filter, same size as the B7042 but the B202 has a higher oil pressure by-pass setting. Not that I worried about it going into by-pass with a filter that has three times the filter media than a stock Honda filter, I moved over to the B202 because I could get them at a better price. Have 145k miles on our '06 S and I'm going to run one more filter on the S that is 1" longer than the B202/B7042. But I have to wait till I get around 9k more miles on our S. I know one filter that won't go on my S and that is a stock Honda filter, just because Honda put it on the S doesn't make it the best part for the S. You can buy Baldwin all over the world but I have no idea what it cost where you live.

Oh, my new filter(yet to be identified) will filter better than 99%@15 micron and 50%@7 micron and will out flow even the large oil filter I use now.

ROD
Old 12-06-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rrounds
Here is my post in the other oil filter link. Clik on the Photobucket link and you will see how large these filters are(I even cut them open so all can see whats inside of these three filters)
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post20411800
I started using Baldwin Filters on my S back in '10 and the one in the pic has 15k miles on it. The Honda and Wix had less than 5k miles. The Baldwin in the pic is a B7042 and I used those for 45k miles(bought a three pack) and then switched over to the B202 filter, same size as the B7042 but the B202 has a higher oil pressure by-pass setting. Not that I worried about it going into by-pass with a filter that has three times the filter media than a stock Honda filter, I moved over to the B202 because I could get them at a better price. Have 145k miles on our '06 S and I'm going to run one more filter on the S that is 1" longer than the B202/B7042. But I have to wait till I get around 9k more miles on our S. I know one filter that won't go on my S and that is a stock Honda filter, just because Honda put it on the S doesn't make it the best part for the S. You can buy Baldwin all over the world but I have no idea what it cost where you live.

Oh, my new filter(yet to be identified) will filter better than 99%@15 micron and 50%@7 micron and will out flow even the large oil filter I use now.

ROD
thanks for sharing
Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by simons
Do you think Honda makes the filters themselves? No. They are probably produced by an aftermaket party who supplies the OEM filter to Honda. I dont think an oil filter is a technical marvel that cannot be replicated to Oem specs. It doesnt worry me. I feel its like buying aftermarket brake pads and so on. Sometimes you can save a few bucks and get fairly equal quality or sometimes even better. When you are on a budget that is what you can do.

Do you also stick to OEM bridgestone tires for safety? Aftermarket ones like Pirelli or Toyo might be risky to drive and risk your life maybe
OEM filter is made by filtech and hamp before that, they are made according to Honda specifications. The OEM oil filter manufacturer has Honda's exact specs and makes the filter according to those specs. Non-oem ones cast a wider net because they have to accomodate more car types.