S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter question/loose oil filters

Old 02-05-2019, 07:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've ordered a few things on Amazon so far. I also have replaced the antenna with a "stubby" one, got one of those broadview rearview mirrors and a new timing chain tensioner (but ordered a low quality one so I'm sending it back)

But so far these are what I've purchased.
- Floor mats
- Shift knob
- Aluminum battery tie down bracket & hardware
- 15400-PCX-004 oil filter with crush washers
- NGK (7772) PFR7G-11S Laser Platinum plugs

Nothing crazy so far once I get the car solid I'll start working on visual things like a quick release wheel, coilovers wheels etc. But next I'd like to get the proper TCT and do a valve adjustment and check the retainers for cracks. I'd also love to paint the valve cover.

The car has a fairly new lightweight clutch and flywheel and a K&N short ram intake (the cone could use replacing).
Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
The OEM filter is 3-inch (76mm), 15 flutes. I just one of these and use a torque wrench.

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-A26...+filter+wrench
I couldn't find the proper oil filter socket so all I have is the strap wrench. I don't feel like ordering that because I just paid $7 for this strap wrench lol.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:22 AM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by czirrfb3
I couldn't find the proper oil filter socket so all I have is the strap wrench. I don't feel like ordering that because I just paid $7 for this strap wrench lol.
I got this from Amazon. Maybe, return the strap? Fixed filter wrench is mucho easier --- in the area you need to work. IMHO.

Well, with my torque wrench being a little on long side and the oil filter tilted slightly downwards --- the fixed tool works better (for me). Maybe, try the strap and see if you have any issues. Another thing --- watch that sending unit which is sticking out of the engine and begging to be stuck and damaged.

Last edited by windhund116; 02-05-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
I got this from Amazon. Maybe, return the strap? Fixed filter wrench is mucho easier --- in the area you need to work. IMHO.
Didnt someone earlier in the thread just say a strap wrench will be fine? So now I'm confused >_<

I have skinny arms if that helps. Also I dont have the stock air box the filter is staring me right in the face when I open the hood.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts

Should be, I have always gone hand tight and it has worked for 10+ years; however following proper procedure eliminates the guessing game and gives you peace of mind, while eliminating the possibility of destroying your motor or car.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
Should be, I have always gone hand tight and it has worked for 10+ years; however following proper procedure eliminates the guessing game and gives you peace of mind, while eliminating the possibility of destroying your motor or car.
Wait. You said you go hand tight? People just said in this thread its impossible to hand tighten the filter on these cars?

I'm getting mixed up here. People say "use a torque wrench." Then "you'll be fine with a strap wrench." Then "it's impossible to hand tighten" then "I hand tighten".
Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the oil filter tool i use.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts

Wait. You said you go hand tight? People just said in this thread its impossible to hand tighten the filter on these cars?

I'm getting mixed up here. People say "use a torque wrench." Then "you'll be fine with a strap wrench." Then "it's impossible to hand tighten" then "I hand tighten".
if you are in the unsureity camp, do it the right way with a torque wrench. the filter markings can be open to interpretation apparently.
Hand tight means I get it as tight as I can with my hand.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 AM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Just goes to show you, sometimes you can find misleading (and sometimes even wrong) information on the Net. But, you knew that.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Excuse my terrible hand writing but you guys are helping, I'm taking notes of everything but I wanna be sure I do it the correct way.

Quick Reply: Oil filter question/loose oil filters