S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter question/loose oil filters

Old 02-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Anything with a torque spec should be torqued to that spec. Only way I know of doing that requires a torque wrench.

-- Chuck
Every fastener on the car has a tq spec. Many (if not most) are not critical and an experienced hand can tq them close enough. Professional mechanics use a tq wrench a LOT less than you think.

I have never used a tq wrench to tighten a valve cover for example. Also never had one issue with any valve cover I have touched. If you wrench enough, you can get it close enough for most non-critical fasteners. And a pro can get a fastener so close by hand it would shock most people.

Thing like head bolts for sure should be tq'd as they are very critical in that regard. I do not tq anything that holds a bracket , accessory, etc. I do not tq bell housing bolts either for example.

For people that do not or have not worked on a lot of things and start doing so, it seems they generally severely overtigthen things, which causes broken fasteners, ruined threads, etc. Again, comes down to how many wrenches you have turned.

For the oil filter, it is pretty hard to over tighten unless you really try or do something dumb, and if you get to that 7/8 turn after gasket contact, it is tight enough. I think using a tq wrench is a bit overkill, but does not hurt of course.

And keep in mind, most peoples tq wrenches are not calibrated regularly (mine isnt) and thus, you are off by some margin using one anyways there. Probably enough to make the numbers on the filter as accurate as your tq wrench is
Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

this thread is so terrible.

OP is so confused.

Good luck, bruv.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I think this thread maybe a classic example of trolling. No?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Not anywhere near 18.

18LB-FT would require you to put a 133LB force the tangent edge of the filter while gripping the filter hard enough to hold that. Inside an engine bay. Nobody that's not in some sort of world record book can do that.

You're probably outputting like 5-8LB by hand while riding the struggle bus to a terrible destination.

Why in the world would you want to do this by hand? Its more difficult AND you're risking failure.
try it and let us know
Old 02-05-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The Honda filter for this car is a different design than virtually every other oil filter for virtually every other car. Anywhere.

So it uses a different method of tightening. If its not done right, it can, and has, spun loose and caused engine fires, and engine destroying loss of oip pressure.

If you buy any other filter brand for this car, it will have the traditional filter design, and hence only require traditional filter tightening procedure. But then was it designed to filter properly at 9k rpms, or is it just that brands normal filter design, with threads that fit our cars? (Hint, its the later)

So to tighten this Honda filter, that was uniquely designed for this and only this application, this engine, requires the 7/8 turn (or torque to spec).

While some have used the traditional filter tightening process and not had an engine fire or lost oil pressure, they are risking their motor, and their car, on every engine rev.

Its low probability, but very high risk. The mitigation is so simple its foolish not to do it (tighten filter to spec).

As for oil change techs not getting it right, if someone takes their S to one of these shops, its not going to get a Honda filter, so their ignorance of procedure won't cause an issue (other than the motor using a filter that wasn designed to handle the oil flow the motor can produce, and any accelerated wear that results).

The real worry is Honda techs not getting it right. I doubt many know this fioter is different. There is tremendous dealership ignorance about this car. I wouldn't ever take mine to a dealer...
Old 02-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The real worry is Honda techs not getting it right. I doubt many know this fioter is different. There is tremendous dealership ignorance about this car. I wouldn't ever take mine to a dealer...
The comment I got from one Honda oil change tech was, "If you think you need to torque your oil filter then you need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing".

I have no idea what this chap was on about. But I ascertain that he had no interest in listening to any logical BULLSHIT from the likes of me.

I'm sure some of them follow procedure. But...they're just people. Plenty of people on this site (a site specifically for S2000's) still believe in fairy tales like "I can tighten this by hand".
Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So. Basically we have established with a Honda filter you HAVE to do the 7/8th turn method with a torque wrench or strap wrench and NOT your hand or you will have issues. Got it!
Old 02-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

You can go back and view threads on just this issue. The OEM filter is built differently in this regard: instead of a metal ring and outboard gasket, like standard filters, the Honda S2000 filter has 2 metal rings with the gasket sandwiched in between. The 2 metal rings, at the correct torque setting, serve to "seat" the filter on the filter engine surface. It ensures high compression (no leaks) for the gasket while ensuring the filter will not back off creating an oil leak. This is one of if not the most common cause of engine fires.

You can buy a generic filter that will "fit" the S2000 engine but I guarantee the mating face construction will not be like Honda's PCX filter. It will be made like any other filter.

Trust the engineers that they actually knew what they were doing when they designed the beast.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:48 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Trust the engineers that they actually knew what they were doing when they designed the beast 160k not Lamborghini on last leg.
FTFY

(jokes)
Old 02-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the "15400-PCX-004" is that the correct one?

Quick Reply: Oil filter question/loose oil filters