S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter question/loose oil filters

Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I don't honestly care what people do to their cars.

But the lack of logic behind doing it incorrectly does fascinate me. I want to know everything about these "strong wristers". Their likes, dislikes, fears, upbringing, etc.

I'd wrap my arm around their drooping shoulder while they gaze at their arthritic, scar tissue damaged wrists, and ask the all encompassing question, "what the hell is the matter with you?"

In time...perhaps...I will want to become one with them.
LOL

Funny thing is that my father, even at 73, probably still has stronger hands and wrists than me from being a mechanic his whole life (and is still doing it today). And I am sure he COULD tighten one to the spec by hand. But he taught me long ago when working on cars together that just because you CAN brute force something does not mean you SHOULD. And the ego method of muscling it just because you can only turns into worn out body parts later in life. Ain't nobody got time for that! Plus, there is that day when your hand was slippery, you hadnt had your wheaties that day, etc that you dont get it properly tight and end up with a burning pile of S2k on the side of the track.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
LOL

Funny thing is that my father, even at 73, probably still has stronger hands and wrists than me from being a mechanic his whole life (and is still doing it today). And I am sure he COULD tighten one to the spec by hand. But he taught me long ago when working on cars together that just because you CAN brute force something does not mean you SHOULD. And the ego method of muscling it just because you can only turns into worn out body parts later in life. Ain't nobody got time for that! Plus, there is that day when your hand was slippery, you hadnt had your wheaties that day, etc that you dont get it properly tight and end up with a burning pile of S2k on the side of the track.
Bruv, you're an engineer.

Filter diameter is ~3.25".
It requires 18 LB-FT.

That means that even though your dad could beat up most dads, there's likely NO chance of getting anywhere close to putting 133LB of force onto the tangent edge of the filter WHILE gripping it hard enough to do so.

Imagine trying to tighten a spark plug with a 1.63" long wrench handle. Now imagine that wrench handle is smooth, round, covered in oil, and is located in a weird spot, obstructed inside an engine bay.

There is virtually no chance of doing this by human hand.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Bruv, you're an engineer.

Filter diameter is ~3.25".
It requires 18 LB-FT.

That means that even though your dad could beat up most dads, there's likely NO chance of getting anywhere close to putting 133LB of force onto the tangent edge of the filter WHILE gripping it hard enough to do so.

Imagine trying to tighten a spark plug with a 1.63" long wrench handle. Now imagine that wrench handle is smooth, round, covered in oil, and is located in a weird spot, obstructed inside an engine bay.

There is virtually no chance of doing this by human hand.
I think you are taking things too literally, to an insane level lol

None of that insinuated my dad could beat anyones dad at anything.

Everything about what I said supports what we have all been saying, that whether you think you can do it by hand or not, it is dumb to.

I didnt need to waste any valuable seconds calculating the force required to make that point .. since the point is made ... and I never said he could tighten it to exactly spec, but can probably tighten it much tighter than I, and maybe close enough to be ok, but would not, since it is simple to use a tool and not guess if you have it "tight enough".

No need to make an argument out of someone trying to agree with you Lets not get all internetz here bruv :P
Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

While B uses humor and hyperbole to make his points (stuff is only funny if its at least partly true), engifineer takes virtually everything completely literally. To the point that if I didn't just say virtually, he'd argue its impossible for anyone to take everything literally.

Its interesting how similar in vast knowledge and experience they are, yet so different in communication style.

They are also both capable of defending their pov and not one to back down from a fight. Hopefully this won't turn into Batman vs Superman...
Old 06-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

..Or the Hulk might have to step in and start smacking bitches... while twisting in his oil filter by hand

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-14-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
I think you are taking things too literally, to an insane level lol

None of that insinuated my dad could beat anyones dad at anything.

Everything about what I said supports what we have all been saying, that whether you think you can do it by hand or not, it is dumb to.

I didnt need to waste any valuable seconds calculating the force required to make that point .. since the point is made ... and I never said he could tighten it to exactly spec, but can probably tighten it much tighter than I, and maybe close enough to be ok, but would not, since it is simple to use a tool and not guess if you have it "tight enough".

No need to make an argument out of someone trying to agree with you Lets not get all internetz here bruv :P

I didn't mean any insult, my main man.

Plus, that calculation took me only like...2 seconds. And my time isn't worth anything.

My only point is that there's no chance any human is getting anywhere close to spec. Anyone can tighten it as much as they want.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

It's crazy how some threads generate a lot of posts. Not sure why that is?

Just follow manufacturer's instructions, and all should be cool!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

Anyone who has tightened their filter by hand and not had it come off has been lucky.

By stating it is ok to hand tighten this unique filter is poor advice, as people follow that advice, and then lose their engine and ruin a track day for the rest.

Any post stating that hand tightening is sufficient will be removed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billman250:
afzan (06-17-2019), HawkeyeGeoff (06-17-2019)