S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter question/loose oil filters

Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
if you are in the unsureity camp, do it the right way with a torque wrench. the filter markings can be open to interpretation apparently.
Hand tight means I get it as tight as I can with my hand.
Great. So now the numbers on the filter are not reliable? That defeats the purpose of the gif earlier =(
Old 02-05-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

If you are looking for unanimity on any issue regarding the S2k you have come to the wrong place.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Lol...you posted a thread on the internet starting with "oil". It gets everyone WAY too excited.

Let me break down the methodologies into a simple format:

A strap wrench and the 7/8 turn method works fine if you know what you're doing.

Its 7/8 turn after gasket contact. The tricky part is knowing when the gssket has actually contacted.

For this reason...7/8 turn is a REFERENCE measurement that's used as a secondary way to make sure you got to the right torque setting. 18LB-FT is an exact measurement. Knowwhatimean?

So while it doesn't ultimately matter how you get the filter tight enough....the SAFEST bet is to use a tool that allows you to torque the filter.

Also...
Anyone doing this by hand with an OEM filter is out of their effing minds. Its like tightening your drain plug with a pair of pliers and following up with, "that'll hold 'er".

Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by czirrfb3
Great. So now the numbers on the filter are not reliable? That defeats the purpose of the gif earlier =(
They must be open to interpretation otherwise you would not be questioning its methodology
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Lol...you posted a thread on the internet starting with "oil". It gets everyone WAY too excited.

A strap wrench and the 7/8 turn method works fine if you know what you're doing.

Its 7/8 turn after gasket contact. The tricky part is knowing when the gssket has actually contacted.

For this reason...7/8 turn is a REFERENCE measurement that's used as a secondary way to make sure you got to the right torque setting. 18LB-FT is an exact measurement. Knowwhatimean?

So while it doesn't ultimately matter how you get the filter tight enough....the SAFEST bet is to use a tool that allows you to torque the filter.

Also...
Anyone doing this by hand with an OEM filter is out of their effing minds. Its like tightening your drain plug with a pair of pliers and following up with, "that'll hold 'er".
I guess starchland must have the strength of the hulk since he does his by hand 0_0
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious

Also...
what lb/ft value did you achieve by hand?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by czirrfb3
I guess starchland must have the strength of the hulk since he does his by hand 0_0
The average dude or dudette doing this in their garage cannot get it tight enough by hand. I know two mechanics (Who, by the way tend to have WAY more hand strength than the average joe) who say they could, but their answer is "why the hell would I do that? that is what tools are for". I guess if you are too cheap to buy a $5 oil filter socket, or just want to prove something, then go for it. But most experienced mechanics know that not using the tool when you should is how you end up with repetitive motion injuries later. Let the tool do the work.

I can get it about 3/4 of the way by hand. I am no hulk, but I am not weak either. But again, why would I want to strain to do it when there is a simple, way more effective way?

It is simple to feel when the gasket contacts. Then use the numbers on the filter to do the rest. you do not need to be to the 1lb*ft accuracy. Otherwise they would not put the numbers to use on there instead since that is not totally accurate. But you will notice that last 1/8 turn and it does make a difference.

people just like to argue about EVERYTHING on the internet. Most are just making it too complicated.

I remember when I was 18 and was helping out at my dads shop. I was putting a serpentine belt on and I had a wrench that fit next to me. Dad saw me about to use it and mentioned he had the longer tool made just for that in the box. Of course I was 18 and "could do it with this short wrench easy!!". So I did. Since I was putting so much force on that short wrench, when it slipped due to an odd angle it was in, I put all my weight into my hand against a piece of metal, split my fingernail all the way down and bled like a stuck pig. He just chuckled and handed me the proper tool. Just cause you can does not make it the best way
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Advice from the School of Hard Knocks, is often the best.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Anything with a torque spec should be torqued to that spec. Only way I know of doing that requires a torque wrench.

-- Chuck
Old 02-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland

what lb/ft value did you achieve by hand?
Not anywhere near 18.

18LB-FT would require you to put a 133LB force the tangent edge of the filter while gripping the filter hard enough to hold that. Inside an engine bay. Nobody that's not in some sort of world record book can do that.

You're probably outputting like 5-8LB by hand while riding the struggle bus to a terrible destination.

Why in the world would you want to do this by hand? Its more difficult AND you're risking failure.

Quick Reply: Oil filter question/loose oil filters