S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Oil leak? oil on Head - best advice.... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/oil-leak-oil-head-best-advice-1193892/)

SBDESIGN 05-05-2019 06:02 AM

Oil leak? oil on Head - best advice....

Just looking to get bodywork tidied up, and every time Im about to something mechanical happens.

This time I noticed oil smell, and what I believe is from my car is a steak of oil at work.

On inspection I can see 10-20mm of oil marking around the head.

My fathers a engineer and used to work on ships, he said a car stood for a while can do things like that, but Im taking his judgement with a pinch of salt.

HISTORY:
Car is in and out of use due to 2 cars, so sometimes sat 1-2 month with very little use, and then I may use everyday.
I think the last oil fill was too high, and above the max a little bit (not sure how critical this is, at the time i didn't think it was and didn't correct)
The car is due a service
The car is on minimum oil level now.
Have not used car in 3 weeks - extremely busy at work, and always delay things not wanting to go to a normal garage who do not know these cars and never sound convincing.
Im in Darlington North east

I was thinking the head casket seal could of gone? (the red thing is head isn't it?) - if so where do you recommend getting one?

So I am asking on here to see if any advice as I know nothing about engines.
Or if anyone knows where to take it in my area.

Thanks for any help/support
cheers

Do people know if the car is drivable ?

Sailro 05-05-2019 08:07 AM

The red thing you are referring to on the f20c engine is not the head, which may actually save you a whole lot of trouble. It's the valve cover, and it sits and seals on top of the head. If your leak seems to be coming from underneath the valve cover onto the head, it's as simple as replacing the valve cover gasket (located between the two). If it is below your head, then it would be the head-gasket which is a slightly more involved job.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...2e932a7911.png

As most parts, a new valve cover gasket could be easily ordered at a local auto parts store (such as O'rileys Auto Parts, Autozone). If you'd like to stick with OEM parts you can go to any Honda dealerships shop and have them get you one, though it will be considerably more expensive and do exactly the same as if you were not to buy it from them.

This repair could defiantly be done even by someone who doesn't know a whole lot about engines, as long as you have some basic metric tools and the gaskets required. here's a link of how to remove the valve cover if you decide to do it on your own

The car will be derivable, however leaking oil. Keep the oil level topped up and check it frequently until the gaskets have been replaced.

hecash 05-05-2019 08:17 AM

If the oil is in the area on the passenger side of the front of the head, there are three areas that come into play.

Valve cover gasket set (includes base gasket and mounting grommets)
VTEC solenoid filter/gasket (available from dealer or online)
VTEC solenoid upper gasket (available from Kraken on Amazon and other site but not from Honda)

There is a remote possibility of a fourth which is the coil/plug cylinder seals that fit into the underside of the valve cover and seal oil from getting onto the coil or plug.

hecash 05-05-2019 08:31 AM

Oh, if you have a supercharger with a bracket that sits between the VTEC solenoid and the head, you will need to look at that gasket/filter assembly, too.

Car Analogy 05-05-2019 08:54 AM

You gotta tell is where its leaking. A photo would be ideal.

SBDESIGN 05-06-2019 08:00 AM

Thanks very much, I should learn to come here immediately when got an issue instead of delaying creating a headache.
Just wish I had some knowledge to share to give back.

The Current Situation:
I topped up the oil with 1ltr and that seemed to bring it just under max.
When I said no oil, I meant that there was non on dip stick. I was surprised that 1ltr did it, but there you go.

I also noticed oil around the oil filter, and when checking it was tight it was only just held on, Im sure to tighten it I did about 3 full rotations. It is now tightened correctly.
Im presuming this is where the oil went, and at work the long streak must have been the point it came loose enough to just dump the oil out.

Thanks for the info regarding the cover. Im starting to think this scepage isn't much of an issue?
Im wondering if this can happen if I spilt some oil when I last filled?

Pictures look clean, as when I took it out yesterday and cleaned it, I also cleaned under the engine way where oil was. I did this thinking now I can keep an eye and be able to see what happens next.

Well, I think I'll take it in to get bodywork cleaned up, alloys refurbished, and then get a major service. In recent years this s2000 has not had much love. House moving, work etc.

rpg51 05-06-2019 08:51 AM

Could be you avoided complete disaster if that oil filter was on the way off and you caught it just in time at only one quart low.
The oil filter should be OEM. You need to follow the spec re torque of the oil filter. its not like an ordinary car. Much higher torque. Use a torque wrench or the 7/8 turn system printed on the oem filter. You can't do it by hand - it requires way more torque than you an do by hand.

Keep a very close eye on you oil levels to be sure you have found the leak. If you run it really low it could destroy the engine beyond repair.

Car Analogy 05-06-2019 05:33 PM

+1000 on tightening filter. Only use the CORRECT oem Honda filter. It looks like a normal oil filter, its not a normal oil filter. It says rihjt on tbe side to tighten it 7/8 of additional turn after it makes contact. If it doesn't say that, its not the correct filter.

If its not torqued down, it can spin loose. Best case you ooose oil pressure and destroy engine. Worst case engine fire. Both have happened.

SBDESIGN 05-08-2019 01:40 PM

cheers guys...

I'm still using the trusty honda legend until the s2000 is back to her sexy self.
Can you believe the legend drinks petrol more than the s2k!