S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil leak... from the oil pan or somewhere else?

Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I check oil every 1000 miles. I'm always peeking under the hood to make sure things are good. It's how my Focus got to 180k miles and so far only 1 sensor needed to be replaced in the cooling system. Still running strong. I'm being more careful with the S2K, since it's a performance car.

Seeing as I got the car in June and I've put over 17k miles on it, I'm checking pretty frequently :P
Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_in_seattle
For my previous cars, I was told that hand tight was enough or I could damage the gasket. Is it different for this car? How much to torque it down?

yeah way different and you see first hand why. Hopefully it wasn't severe enough to cause a drop in oil pressure.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I initially got the car, it started sounding funny after a month or two. I checked the oil and discovered it was DRY. (I had planned on doing some early maintenance work but was basically just super busy). After that, I really got on top of it.

It looks worse than it really is. I lost a quart over about 1000 miles. It's not too bad. I tightened the filter a bit this morning, I'll grab my oil filter wrench and give it some torque later tonight. I'll keep an eye on things after I wash it to make sure there is nothing else going on. Hard to plan major maintenance when I'm working full-time and school full-time. Great feedback everyone, very helpful. I would not have known about the extra torquing.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

For my previous cars, I was told that hand tight was enough or I could damage the gasket. Is it different for this car? How much to torque it down?
There are a few threads that have beaten this to death. Loose oil filters are the number one cause of engine bay fires in the S2000.

The OEM oil filter is built differently than standard auto (including Honda) filters. Standard filters have the O ring that can be hand tightened. The S2000 filter has two metal rings with a gasket sandwiched between. You must use a torque wrench or wrench on the filter to ensure the 9/10s rotation is achieved. Why? The OEM filter needs to be cranked down so those 2 metal rings make contact with the mating surface on the engine. The gasket provides the seal but not the locking torque like a standard filter.
The following users liked this post:
cj_in_seattle (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:47 PM

After I initially got the car, it started sounding funny after a month or two. I checked the oil and discovered it was DRY. (I had planned on doing some early maintenance work but was basically just super busy). After that, I really got on top of it.

It looks worse than it really is. I lost a quart over about 1000 miles. It's not too bad. I tightened the filter a bit this morning, I'll grab my oil filter wrench and give it some torque later tonight. I'll keep an eye on things after I wash it to make sure there is nothing else going on. Hard to plan major maintenance when I'm working full-time and school full-time. Great feedback everyone, very helpful. I would not have known about the extra torquing.
oh wow, I think you will pay for that one. These engines don't do well when oil starved
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
oh wow, I think you will pay for that one. These engines don't do well when oil starved
Most engines don't do well with not enough oil. Like humans, with not enough blood.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Most engines don't do well with not enough oil. Like humans, with not enough blood.
The S2000 engine in particular though seems to have a very high likelihood of rod bearing failure when ran low.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

What's the next logical step for the OP to rule out (or prepare) for a bearing failure due to oil starvation?

Getting his oil tested by Blackstone Labs and looking for high metals/bearing material in the report?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

[QUOTE

It looks worse than it really is. I lost a quart over about 1000 miles. .[/QUOTE]

Come on,Guys,he was only one quart low...
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So yes cleaning the engine is a good thing, also it looks like the oil is coming from above the pan...almost like when an oil change was done it is spilled oil not cleaned up? a new filter would get rid of the worry about oil coming from that....i use honda s2000 filters not accord or civic ones...and i hand tighten them and have done so since 2004 when i did my first, i have done all oil changes since them save for two, so whatever i do works. best of luck with this.

Quick Reply: Oil leak... from the oil pan or somewhere else?