S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Old oxygen sensors and you! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/old-oxygen-sensors-you-1193856/)

VashTheStampede 05-03-2019 10:54 AM

Old oxygen sensors and you!

As our cars get older, and systems start to time out, we’re going to start to run into situations like the one I recently found. The pic attached to this is/was an OEM oxygen sensor with 113,000 miles on it. It’s nearly twenty years old and DID NOT. I repeat. DID NOT. Throw a code. This O2 sensor was still showing voltage to my scanner but wasn’t just sluggish, it was stuck at .86 volts. The car was getting horrific mileage (as you’d expect). I swapped this out for a brand new Denso and it’s back to perfection.

So, again, no code. No driveability issues. Terrible mileage. I mean, look at this thing. Yes, this is supposed to look like a bone stock sensor.

Keep an eye on your (now) 20 year old rides, boys!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...b758a4450.jpeg

s2000Junky 05-03-2019 11:09 AM

Good heads up. I've been noticing some erratic behavior during closed loop operation on my 02 with 88k miles and decided it was worth the $35 to swap in another sensor and see if that addresses. Plenty of fine working brand X options these days that are plug and play. Its an easy choice. I'm supercharged and also running water/meth injection so killing $300 for an OEM option not so appealing. I will wait for the code in that case :D

VashTheStampede 05-03-2019 12:15 PM

Yes indeed! I believe Denso is the OEM supplier, so I’m not concerned with the unit. With that said, I’m staring down the barrel of changing my injectors, but that $700 price tag seems insane. Hopefully a good aftermarket unit will eventually come along that I can trust.

s2000Junky 05-03-2019 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede (Post 24597937)
Yes indeed! I believe Denso is the OEM supplier, so I’m not concerned with the unit. With that said, I’m staring down the barrel of changing my injectors, but that $700 price tag seems insane. Hopefully a good aftermarket unit will eventually come along that I can trust.

Just send them to RC or some other injector service to have them tested and cleaned. Its general $17-20 for each to have done, at least the last time I had service done.

Mr.Matchbox 05-03-2019 02:05 PM

Send your injectors to Paul and get them back as new:

Fuel Injector Cleaning | Hurst Injector Service

:thumbup:

nubbel 05-04-2019 02:22 AM

Inb4 Billman shares horror stories about injector cleaning :D

Honestly, I was thinking about getting my injectors cleaned as well, but I do value Billman's opinion and experience too much :vintage:

Mr.Matchbox 05-04-2019 04:38 AM

Paul from Hurst injectors ist THE man. He is a extremly good mechanic and has a reputuation at "Bob is the oil guy" for his good work with injectors like Billman has in this forum for his work with S2000s.

You can find Paul at Bob is the oil guy under the screen name "Trav".

After two shops failed miserably here in germany, i have send a set of injectors to him, they came back and the car run like new. The problems with hot start casued by leaking injectors were gone.

Billman is probably right that injector cleaning can be troublesome, but paul / hurts injectors is the one exception.

s2000Junky 05-04-2019 12:16 PM

What's the potential issue with cleaning ? Never heard of that before. I had a set done years ago and had a good experiece.

Mr.Matchbox 05-05-2019 03:21 AM

My Expirience:
Shipping: If a "reputabale porsche shop, as seen in the press.." here in germany is just to lazy to package the injectors properly when sending them back to me, they arrive partly broken. And, beside this, being cleaned with the ASNU system, still leaks... The hot start problems not solved...:angry2:
... the second try with a dedicated Injectror cleaning shop here in Germany, injectors still leaking..... :angry2:

I was really $%&§$, but thanks to Bob is the oil guy people there gave me a hint towards Paul / Hurst injectors. I sent the injectors from Germany to the US, they came back and the car run like new, the injectors dont leak, therefore the hot start problems are gone.

I had contact with Paul via "Bob is the oil guy". He stated that he just uses a little bit more time, clean the injectors often and let them sit under pressure for longer time to be 100% sure that they dont leak anymore.
Thats the difference: Just more diligence. And of course, the packaging was top-notch.