S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Over-Rev and now a ticking sound

Old 07-08-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- Follow-up.
- Compression TEST @ ~ 8000 ft altitude and cold engine (CoSprings)
- 130/130/135/135
- From my understanding there's no utility in leakdown if compression test are consistent. Is this true?

- To my knowledge no liquid gaskets
- Engine has ~ 35K miles (it was supposed to be a weekend car, but i coundn't keep it off the track)
- I've used had the car since ~ 23K miles

- I tried the stethescope and coud'nt pinpoint anything previously, I think removving the manifold may be something easy to check

- to add, the buzzing you hear in the video sounds much harsher than when I shut the car down when it was hot, so what ever it is, it got worse when the engine cooled. also 10 minutes before shutting the engine off vtech was still engaging and the motor was still pulling strong with no check engine lights

Last edited by auric; 07-08-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Compression test imo is useless and rough on the battery. A simole leakdown is the abeolute best way to test an engine. And to diagnose exactky what/where the problem is. If a leakdown checks out 100% fine then id reccomend a comorrssion test to see just how good the engine is. But start with leakdown first.

If you do a leakdown and hear air leaking you can open or remove throttle body to hear the air though intake side
Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand
Compression test imo is useless and rough on the battery. A simole leakdown is the abeolute best way to test an engine. And to diagnose exactky what/where the problem is. If a leakdown checks out 100% fine then id reccomend a comorrssion test to see just how good the engine is. But start with leakdown first.

If you do a leakdown and hear air leaking you can open or remove throttle body to hear the air though intake side

I'll do a leakdown tomorrow and follow-up tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...1194502/page5/

I posted video and pics on last page. I had a bent intake valve maybe that can help diagnose
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...1194502/page5/

I posted video and pics on last page. I had a bent intake valve maybe that can help diagnose

Thanks for the response.
The sound your car was producing sounds just like mine was prior to me turning the car off and letting it cool off.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
It would appear someone used a liquid gasket type material at some point in your engine. I seem to recall Billman stating you should never use this in our engines as pieces will break off and wreak havoc with engine oil pressure especially to the top end. Lots of nasty damage has occurred from using this stuff. Solution? Use OEM gaskets.
liquid gasket RTV (Honda Ultraflange/RTV) is used for the head to front timing chain cover mating surface and the entire front timing cover, and also the oil pan...it’s what Honda recommends as per best practice in the assembly manual. Go look at your engine you will see some gray rtv squeezing out in that area... billman said you should never use too much...too much pieces can break off.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by auric
I'll do a leakdown tomorrow and follow-up tomorrow.
Yes please do this...as I recommended above.

a leakdown test can determine a bent valve, and also which one if you know what you are doing.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where does it SEEM like the sound is coming from?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:54 PM

Leak Down Test Follow-UP:

1. Bought the tester from Harbor Freight. I'm unsure if the gauge is working, but it did pressurize the cylinder.
2. Leakdown was ~ 15% across the board; but I don't trust the gauge. Seemed finicky.....
3. No air from dip stick/oil filler aperature/pcv system
4. Mild to moderate sound from the throttle body on all cylinders, but worst on 1 and 4.
5. Sound amplified if I opened up the butterfly valve.

- Sounds like it may be a valve issue.
- Should I get a loaner from my local autoparts store, or do I have enough information to draw conclusions?
- Is it possible that all the intake valve bent or should I suspect cams as well?
- I could feel a mild draft as well from C3 when I was checking 4.
- Car has never over heated and I doubt I have a head gasket / warped head but that i curious
Old 07-10-2019, 05:34 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

If valve lash is adjusted properly, looks like you'll be removing the head and inspecting.

Good luck, with that!

Quick Reply: Over-Rev and now a ticking sound