S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OVERHEATING AND OUT OF IDEAS!?!?!? update pg2!

Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OVERHEATING AND OUT OF IDEAS!?!?!? update pg2!

i posted about this problem and got a little help that fixed it for a little while, but not the problems persists and more often than ever!!!!

first it was over heating and we found air in the system. i bled it off and thought it was just a little left over from the recent thermostat change out. the mechanic said they bled off alot of air for about 20 or 30 minutes and maybe this was just a little bit they couldnt get. no biggie.

well after i did it i drove it for about 3 days or so and again it started again. just for sh!ts and giggles i tried to bleed more air out and actually got some. i really didnt thinl anything about it so i just kept on with my days. the next week the same thing happened and again got more air out.

well now its doing it yet again and this will have to be at least the 6th time to bleed air out of the system. i have had people telling me it could be a ruptured head gasket, but i dont have any water in my oil nor do i have any steam or smoke coming from the exhaust. im now at a point where i have no clue what to do. my brother in law is also a mechanic and he said he has seen some cases where the bottom radiator hose was collapsing under acceleration and blocking water flow. i dont believe this is the case as it just did it to me while driving in the citty at only 35mph and in 6 gear. the rpms were supper low.

some body please help me cuz i am about 2 days from getting rid of the car cuz of the problems i am having with it. im usually really good at finding the problem, either me, my father or the 2 mechanics i have can at least. and this one is a mystery. i love this car, but all the hastle and work and headache it has caused me is really making me regret getting it. PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I GET RID OF MY S!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no idea, good luck...

Old 11-29-2008, 03:32 PM

it seems like you've tried everything.. but as a last resort, i'd try taking it to the honda dealership and see if they can find out anything.. :| just a thought...
Old 11-29-2008, 03:34 PM

If you have air in system.. it only takes a few days for blurp it out it self. its proally not air in the system. its somthing els.

is your Heater working ok?
Old 11-29-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Run the S for approximately five minutes and then touch the upper hose and then the lower hose (with the engine off). If one is cool to the touch you have found your problem, it will be your water pump or thermostat. Even though you replaced the thermostat, I've seen quite a few defective one's and you should check to make sure it does open fully. One other thing to check is your radiator cap, if it is the original it probably needs replacing.

Best of luck!
Old 11-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^

also, is it the original radiator?

i know sometimes people try totake a sortcut and use a regular radiator, but with a vtec engine you need a high flow one, i doubt that this is it cause all s2k's are vtec, buti know that with lude anyway, that people gotthe cheaper one and had issues, just a thought.

but also try a couple tests to see if your thermostat and water pumpare working
Old 11-29-2008, 04:25 PM

Was the thermostat changed because it was overheating? The thermostat may have been put in incorrectly, or even an incorrect thermostat used (did honda do the work?). There is usually a small hole/port in the thermostat that must allow flow thru it for the thermostat to work correctly. With the engine running, look down in the radiator overflow tank and see if there is bubbling.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:08 PM

could be a crack in the head. alot of e30 and e36 bmws have this problem. my friend changed the water pump, gaskets, and everything he can possibly think of and nothing worked.

he took it to his friend's machine shop and found out it was a tiny crack in the head (you can't see it with your bare eyes, u have to examine it under the light closely).
Old 11-29-2008, 05:09 PM

the radiator is a mishimoto alum. and the thermostat is new. the heater has been working fine untill tonight. i will be taking it to my local speed and tuner shop with a cert honda mech. for a leak down test and check over on monday
Old 11-29-2008, 05:55 PM

I have replaced the thermostat on a car several times only to find that the "new" part was defective. The only way I was able to pinpoint it was placing the t stat in a pot of water and increased the temp with a thermomometer in it until I saw that the replacement was sticking. Could be a crack in the head.

Quick Reply: OVERHEATING AND OUT OF IDEAS!?!?!? update pg2!