S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

PLS HELP! 05 cranks but wont start

Old 06-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLS HELP! 05 cranks but wont start

Need help or advice 05 s2000 cranks but won't start (everything is stock on the car)

-New oem plugs/ pregapped at .043 (PFR7G11S)
-all fuses are good at both fuse boxes
-battery is good but also have jump box on it
-immobilizer works with key (green light turns off)
-fuel pump primes can also see my plugs were wet with fuel
-Cam and crank sensor clipped in good
-No CELs

What was done before the issue
-valve cover removed to clean and powder coat which means cam sensors were removed as well so its possible left and right sensor may have swapped sides (if that matters)
- valve cover gasket replaced as well
-after installation everything turned on and ran fine. Next day car would crank but wouldnt start..and now were here
Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

First off, how was opd paint removed for powder coat? If it was media blasted, immediately remove cover, and hang on wall as decoration. If left in place it will destroy your motor. Its impossible to clean all the innards of blast material, it will get in your oil and motor will be toast. Hopefully the one day of use hasn't caused too many issues yet. Change oil and filter along with new cover.

Only use chemical stripper to remove paint from valve cover.

That out of the way, first thought just reading title was going to be cam or crank sensor. Since cam sensor was about the only thing touched that could cause this symptom, that is where to start. Only odd thing is it did run ok at first.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes check both cam sensors and also all your coil packs, might just be a loose connector if you are lucky.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

Cam sensors are the same.

I sure hope this isnt a case of media blast failure.

Is the CEL working?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
First off, how was opd paint removed for powder coat? If it was media blasted, immediately remove cover, and hang on wall as decoration. If left in place it will destroy your motor. Its impossible to clean all the innards of blast material, it will get in your oil and motor will be toast. Hopefully the one day of use hasn't caused too many issues yet. Change oil and filter along with new cover.

Only use chemical stripper to remove paint from valve cover.

That out of the way, first thought just reading title was going to be cam or crank sensor. Since cam sensor was about the only thing touched that could cause this symptom, that is where to start. Only odd thing is it did run ok at first.
oh trust me i know about this but no it was removed using aircraft stripper

Originally Posted by flanders
Yes check both cam sensors and also all your coil packs, might just be a loose connector if you are lucky.
I removed both cam sensors and cleaned them up good. I also swapped them around just for kicks. All connectors look to be tight and clicked in. I tested spark on all coil packs using each connector and each plug.. all sparked fine. wasnt big but it did spark

Originally Posted by Billman250
Cam sensors are the same.

I sure hope this isnt a case of media blast failure.

Is the CEL working?
Ok thats what i thought couldnt see a difference when both were removed. But no media blast was done. CEL does work but nothing showed when i put a scanner to it
Old 06-14-2018, 05:45 AM

I also checked the ground (G101) on the back of the head the best that i could and it looks to be intact but i think i will remove the VC and check again. Does it have to be grounded to that exact bolt?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 AM

This is the bay btw
Old 06-14-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

So you got spark (hopefully with correct timing as well) and fuel, the only other thing that's needed besides that is compression.
Seems very unlikely that you lost that over night but since there isn't that much else to check you might as well do a compression test.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

...which for a non staet condition, you don't need an actual gauge or actual numerical compression numbers. Just your finger on plug hole, make sure compression pushes it away forcefully.

Not sure if you can get a finger down there though on our motors...
Old 06-15-2018, 02:19 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

So you do the reverse, put hand over spark plug tube then send the piston down. If it sucks in your hand and it stays sucked in, then compression is good enough for combustion

Quick Reply: PLS HELP! 05 cranks but wont start