S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Possible Prop issue (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/possible-prop-issue-1187158/)

CliveAllen 08-07-2018 04:18 AM

Possible Prop issue

Hi all,

First post here. I will try and explain the issue as best as I can.

When accelerating I get none of the noise I am about to try and describe. I only get this noise when using the gearing to slow down and also when lifting foot off the accelerator.

So, the noise is a like a door creaking when you open it slowly, but it goes with, what can only be described as a revolution of something. So, the noise is not constant, it is a very loud creaking sound that goes (if you can imagine that sound lol) like this..... fast... creak, creak, creak, creak … as the car slows from lifting off the creak extends with the revolving motion.... so creeeaak creeeeak creeeeeeeeeaaaaak, creeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaak…. unitl stop. I hope that explanation has caused some smiles..... Anyway, on with it....

I took the car to the garage as we suspected worn rubber seals on the propshaft. Got a second hand prop shaft and had it changed. On my drive back home (40 Miles) the noise did not come back and all seemed good. But now, just 3 hours later, the noise has come back again.

As a bit more information, and may be relevant, who knows.... If I go around a left hand corner quite quick, the noise increases, but around a right hand corner it all but disappears..... However, when the car was put on a lift jack and the rear wheels lifted off the ground. The mechanic sat in the car and really revved it with the rear wheels spinning and NO noise at all...… It is getting frustrating now and very embarrassing to drive because of the noise.....

Anyone know what this may be please or at least what to look for?

Thanks

starchland 08-07-2018 04:48 AM

Wild guess is hub/bearing. You can try the axle nut retorque but it may be beyond saving

CliveAllen 08-07-2018 05:12 AM

Not sure if that would make more of a grinding sound of metal.... this is more an old door being opened creaking kind of sound, almost kind of rubber sounding.....

If it was bearings or anything like that I would have thought the noise would still be there when it was jacked up and running.....

Thanks though, it's something to look at.... :)

fatjoe10 08-07-2018 08:02 AM

Hubs and bearings for sure. You will not be able to duplicate this in the air. Replace the side that gets louder when putting a load on it while driving.

hoobastnk90 08-07-2018 08:41 AM

Had the same issue as you, it was the hub/wheel bearing. As mentioned whatever side has the load while turning and making the noise is the offender

Car Analogy 08-07-2018 08:44 AM

If it makes more noise turning in one direction, and goes away turning other direction, its not the prop shaft.

It would have to be either hub bearing or axle cv joints on the side making the noise.

CliveAllen 08-07-2018 11:05 PM

Okay. I have a bit of an issue. I live near Cheltenham and next Tuesday I have to drive to a wedding in Cambridge. I do not want to drive the car with a dodgy bearing. My issue is that the earliest delivery I can find is Monday 13th - Friday 17th from Amazon for a wheel bearing.

Does anyone know where I can get one quickly please? Like today or tomorrow?

Thanks all

CliveAllen 08-07-2018 11:27 PM

As an add on...… I have just spoken to the Honda Dealership and they can get one for tomorrow but the cost is £116 and I have no idea what they'll charge for fitting it.

How easy is it to change a rear wheel bearing please?

CliveAllen 08-08-2018 12:25 AM

Sorry for posting so much and probably being annoying...…

If it is the Bearings, would that not make the noise continuously?

The noise only occurs when I am lifting off the accelerator and when accelerating there is no noise at all? Could it be the diff?

I'm no expert so I'm sorry for asking so many questions.....

fatjoe10 08-08-2018 10:00 AM

What you are hearing is the hub beginning to lose its press fit into the inner race of the bearing. The typical sound of a failing bearing is more commonly due to brinelling condition on the ball bearing contact surfaces.