S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible Water Damage! Need help and feedback

Old 05-29-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Water Damage! Need help and feedback

Hi everyone, I've been a S2k owner for almost 2 years now and I live in Houston, Texas. This week we got some intense rain and there was flooding in various parts of the city. This is where my story starts and i need feedback ASAP.

It was memorial day weekend and I went to a friends house. Little did I know that his street flooded and no one told me anything about it! I parked my car in the street by his mailbox and a few hours later it started pouring! It was literally 20 min after it started raining that we got a knock on the door and a kid tells my girlfriend, "you better hurry or that blue car is going to flood." She yells at me and I immediately ran outside. My heart sank seeing how far the water had risen on the street! I rushed to my car and i opened the passenger door due to the water being so deep around the car. The water had not reached the door level but it was close! I jumped in my car with out any water coming in and i turned it on and safely moved it to higher ground. I thought everything was great and that I had saved my s2k and did not leave until the water level went down. There were no lights and I drove it home slowly since I was going through neighborhoods. I left my car in the drive way that day and did not move until today, this is where I need some feedback from someone that knows about cars

I opened my door today and immediately i got the smell of mildew/mold. I seriously thought I had left something in the car and commenced to look around. I looked everywhere but did not find any food items. I pulled the passenger seat forward and thats when i saw it, there was moister on my seat railing! I commenced to touch everywhere and of course the the carpet was wet to the touch. It was only underneath the seat and it seemed to extend all the way the back. My gf had our other car and I had to be at work in an hour so I put the windows down and drove it. There is nothing wrong with the car, no lights, engine seems responsive, and I drove it for 30 min. I was very worried and did not drive until my shift ended. On my way home is when i noticed the exhaust noise was muffled! It does not sound like the s2k's distinctive sound that I love. It sounds quite, but the engine revs up normal, but the muffled sound seems to be coming from the catalyzer, I know the sound since I got it replaced not too long ago. Also, after driving it for 20 min I decided to floor it and I was able to reach 120 without any difficulties. This is where i need help and feedback! What should I do? Should i take it to the shop? Or should I just wait? I talked to a few friends and my dad, who knows a bit about cars, and they all said to just wait until it "dries." I just don't want to take it to the shop and have them tell me i have to replace parts if it is not needed. Kind of broke at the moment! Is it possible that water got into the Catalyzer and how serious is it? I will greatly appreciate anyone's feedback on this! Thank you.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

just drive it around, and let it dry off. pop the top on a sunny day and dry out your interior.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When my soft top leaked we had a tropical storm sit over our area for a few days causing flooding. Due to my top leaking this also made my carpet get soaked. I simply pulled the carpets out for a few days to let them dry and vacuumed any excess in the floor. You can still drive it without carpet but it will be extra work as youd have to put the seats back in.

I guess its possible water is in the exhaust, but the exhaust should dry/push it out pretty quickly.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What is it that Billman says to do with watered-down interiors? Close the top and roll up the windows, put the fan on max speed, turn the AC on, turn on the recirculate button, and turn the temp all the way to heat. Of course I would use towels to get all the water you can out of the carpet first; maybe even take the seats out since its easy to do.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
What is it that Billman says to do with watered-down interiors? Close the top and roll up the windows, put the fan on max speed, turn the AC on, turn on the recirculate button, and turn the temp all the way to heat. Of course I would use towels to get all the water you can out of the carpet first; maybe even take the seats out since its easy to do.
That would be the way to do it. Use the AC as a dehumidifier, and turn the heat on (I suppose you would need to be driving to keep the engine generating heat) to promote evaporation of the water in the cabin.

Otherwise, if you're in a sunny state without high humidity then the open top and high heat with the sun baking things will help get that water out.. an electric fan used to move air into the wet areas will help to speed up the evaporation.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
First, you do have comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance, right? It's cheap, and it would cover any damage.

Second, you do not want to turn on recirculate, then you are not venting any of the air to the outside.

Just get a couple of heavy duty fans that can push a lot of air and put the top down and point them at the interior of the car.

Again though...you do have comp coverage, right?
Old 05-31-2014, 05:10 PM

Shop Vac it, then air dry.

If you really want to go all out, you can take out the seats and remove the carpet. Let it air dry....do not put it the carpets in the dryer....the adhesive for the pads will melt and you will have a sticky mess.