S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Problem after OEM MY04 rear wing installation

Old 05-23-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after OEM MY04 rear wing installation

This post is directed to S2K owners who have installed the OEM rear wing on their cars. This weekend, I completed the installation of my wing (using Xviper's tech write up) and discovered a problem. The installation was smooth. However, after the wing was mounted, I noticed that both wing mounts are not sticking to the trunk properly. Both mounts closest to the front of the wing seems to be lifting and not sticking to the car. The rear of the mounts seems to be perfect. In fact, when you view the wing from the rear, it looks perfect. When you view it from the side, you can see a gap in the front of the mount large enough to pass a business card through. Is this normal?

The mounting hardware is as tight as possible. I even thought maybe the rear screws were too tight and backed them off to fit just snug. However, the problem is still there.

I'm open to any and all ideas.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just checked mine and it's the same way. I've never considered this to be a problem. Did you use that little sticky gasket between the underside of the wing foot and the trunk lid? I can clearly see this gasket through the gap. I suppose you could close that gap if you didn't use the gasket but then, it's there to keep water from going into the trunk. I don't think it's enough to worry about. I've not seen any spoiler being totally flush.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is totally flush...

Try this........

If the front set is not holding the spoiler stand snug to the trunk lid, get some washers or another spacer nut and put it between the bolt and the underside of the trunklid where the bumperstop is.

It maybe that your already bottomed out on the wing side of the bolt so if you use a spacer or washer you can tighten it down further.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 23 2005, 05:09 PM
I just checked mine and it's the same way. I've never considered this to be a problem. Did you use that little sticky gasket between the underside of the wing foot and the trunk lid? I can clearly see this gasket through the gap. I suppose you could close that gap if you didn't use the gasket but then, it's there to keep water from going into the trunk. I don't think it's enough to worry about. I've not seen any spoiler being totally flush.
Xviper,

Yes, I did use the sticky gaskets. I'm happy to report, after an all night rain, the trunk remained dry. They do work!

My concern was with the double sided tape underneath the wing. It is sticking perfectly on the rear like I mentioned. However, the front is not sticking. Since it is on the wing, I figured it was there for a reason...to adhere to the trunk lid. Perhaps each wing has a different fit?

BTW...Thank you for the excellent installation write-up with pictures! It was very helpful!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,May 23 2005, 11:40 PM
Mine is totally flush...

Try this........

If the front set is not holding the spoiler stand snug to the trunk lid, get some washers or another spacer nut and put it between the bolt and the underside of the trunklid where the bumperstop is.

It maybe that your already bottomed out on the wing side of the bolt so if you use a spacer or washer you can tighten it down further.
Thank you for the suggestion! I thought about doing this. But, I figured why not ask the Forum first in case I did something I need to correct.

I will try the washer method and let you know how it works out. I am not very happy about removing those stupid spoiler bolts again. While installing them, I dropped them a few times into the dark recess of the truck lid. It took forever to fish those dang things back into the rubber mount hole.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by suprfunguy,May 24 2005, 06:48 AM
Perhaps each wing has a different fit?
I suppose it's possible. More likely might be a slight difference in curvature of the trunk lid from one car to another.