S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question about Life of Clutch

Old 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Fat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Life of Clutch

Just seeing if anyone has any input on how much life/time I may have before a clutch change.
Currently at 120k miles on the original clutch. I never launch the car, and have been daily driving the car as a point A to B vehicle.

Lately I've been noticing the clutch engagement point is higher than usual, and feels like the engagement window is shorter than usual.
However it never slips, and it still drives and shifts fine so far.

Should I not worry about a clutch change until it starts slipping?
I just don't want the clutch to go out on me while I'm hundreds of miles away from home.
Also if anyone knows (I know it may differ by hwy and city driving) but what's the normal life expectancy of the OEM clutch for just daily driving?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Slalom44 has gone 330K on the original clutch before replacing it due to a throwout bearing issue. So if the clutch system does go it may not be because of a worn disc and you may not be warned with slipping.
I personally ran an OEM clutch to 160k before crashing the car and that included many track days. When I removed it, it still had plenty of life left.

My guess is that the life expectancy is between 200K-300K for daily driving.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it's very difficult to say the normal life of a clutch as small differences in driver behaviour have a magnified effect over time (and some oem clutches are nearing 20 years old). I am still on the original clutch and find it's ok, I think it's important to maintain the clutch hydraulics though, using a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the master cylinder, cleaning it out with shop towels and then refilling with new fluid. Perhaps the hydraulics are the cause of the altered engagement point you've experienced.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet
Slalom44 has gone 330K on the original clutch before replacing it due to a throwout bearing issue.
330K is awesome!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

When it first starts to slip, its still serviceable for some time, provided you go easy on it. So you don't have to worry so much about getting stuck far from home.

If you first notice slipping symptoms while on a trip, just take it easy until you can get it home. So unless its going to ruin a trip to The Dragon, or cut short a multiday tour, you should be fine.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Majority of the clutches I replace is in the 120k-140k mile range. Some up to 200k miles and some as early as 40k miles. In my opinion, it all depends on the nut behind the wheel.

I source all my OEM parts from AFHKparts.com (Auto Fair Honda) on the east coast.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously it depends upon driving... highway miles don't use the clutch, city traffic uses it a lot. A clutch that is not abused will last over 100K. I measured my friction disk when I had it out replacing the transmission and at 35K of mostly city use it was still within the new spec, so no noticeable wear.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Clutch will never die ... they will just keep making more albums that rock.

Oh, you meant the clutch in our cars ?

As mentioned, it will vary a lot. On most regular daily drivers I say if you replace a clutch before 150,000 miles you are doing something very wrong (I have easilly gone 250,000 miles on a clutch before). On this car I would normally expect less than that due to the fact it has practically no torque and you end up slipping the clutch more everytime you leave a stop. But you can manage this if you drive it right. I replaced mine at 130,000 miles, but it has had a lot of very hard launches at autox events with 255's on the car, so I expected it to finally go.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

your question depends on the driver.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Of course it depends on the driver, but thats implied in his question.

When someone asks is this car reliable, or how long does clutch last, of course it depends on the owner. The person asking knows that. The question is on average, if you disregard the outliers, people that beat on the car on one end, or baby it on the other, what is the typical best case (nothing unexpected or catastrophic occurs) life expectancy.

Its an entirely reasonable question. We do our community a disservice if we act like its an impossible question or too nuanced to answer.

Quick Reply: Question about Life of Clutch