S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Questions about bronze & cast iron valve guides

Old 11-09-2015, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your experience, I really appreciate it, while it's not the same application, it certainly helps to give me an idea of the longevity of bronze guides.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:27 AM

I am in the same boat with exhaust guides worn at 65k miles, although I believe some knocking that my boosted engine has experienced has lead to increased wear. My compression is 205, 214, 215, 235 with leak down at 76, 75, 78, 85. I was told that the cylinder walls are probably scored but I only see one scratch in cylinder 3 and it does not catch my finger nail. I was going to purchase bronze valve guides but my tuner and guide installer recommended oem
Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I think there is more going on with that engine than you realize. A blown HG and worn valve guides is not at all normal at that milage. Did you check to be sure the exhaust valves were not too tight? That IS a problem on the 06+ and maybe caused or contributed to where you are now. I think I would stick as close to OEM as possible, there are OEM engines that have 200-300k and are tracked regularly. Mine has 145k and runs great! Things seem to go south for these engines when people move away from OEM, just my $.02 based on hundreds of posts I have seen over the years.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

How many worn exhaust valve guides are there due to excessively tight valve lash over time?... The 'customer' mentioned in that site/video brought in a DBW S2000 which we know runs a bit leaner. Coupled with some exhaust mods that would lean it out even more and you might end up with the failure mode shown. But 'all too common'? LOL.

Also, the OP claims to have been a Honda Tech... How many cars would you get in per day that needed a valve guide replacement?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Let's look at what happens from a logical point of view. If the valve clearance is too tight, then combustion gases will flow right past the valves, the heat of combustion reaches half the temperature of the sun and there's no water jackets behind the valves. So those hot combustion gases have nothing to do but interact with the guides and valve seals. This heat can fatigue the guides and cook the seals if left for long enough.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Let's look at what happens from a logical point of view. If the valve clearance is too tight, then combustion gases will flow right past the valves, the heat of combustion reaches half the temperature of the sun and there's no water jackets behind the valves. So those hot combustion gases have nothing to do but interact with the guides and valve seals. This heat can fatigue the guides and cook the seals if left for long enough.
Yep.

OP's original (and second) comment (and a hint of undeserved arrogance?) are laughable.

Premature guide wear being "all too common" with this motor? Please.

Let me give you an analogy (even though you're probably not active on the boards anymore) of what you've said: "I had eco tires on my car and they blew apart at 150 mph causing my wheels to be destroyed; can you guys comment on whether forged wheels are good or bad?"

Silly.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I'll add that most of the heat from combustion is 'consumed' in the combustion chamber if the valves seal properly. The water jackets circling the combustion chambers cool the cylinder walls and the pistons and valve faces are cooled by radiating their heat to the cylinder walls and head as well as by oil squirters and oil pressure. If the valves don't seal the combustion chamber can no longer consume the heat properly.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jkelley
Yep.

OP's original (and second) comment (and a hint of undeserved arrogance?) are laughable.

Premature guide wear being "all too common" with this motor? Please.

Let me give you an analogy (even though you're probably not active on the boards anymore) of what you've said: "I had eco tires on my car and they blew apart at 150 mph causing my wheels to be destroyed; can you guys comment on whether forged wheels are good or bad?"

Silly.
So I was randomly going through some of my old posts and came across your ignorant douchey comment that I never saw until now. I was going to let it go since its a couple years old and you're a nobody, but then a few auto tech buddy's of mine convinced me to chime back in and stand up for myself.

Exactly who the hell are you to judge my background and qualifications, or call me arrogant? My qualifications are:

- 4 years as ASE master tech for Autowest Acura
- 5 years as ASE master tech for Anderson Honda
- 3 years as ASE master tech for BMW
- 4 years as ASE master tech at Engineuity Racing Dynamics
- 2 years as ASE master tech at Redline Motorsports
- Honda PACT Specialty Certification from Honda Co.
- BS in Industrial Design
- BS in Automotive/Mechanical Engineering
- 4 AS degree's in Automotive Technology
- AS in Materials Science
- Lead Automotive & Industrial designer for Bosch automotive division
- Automotive designer for SAIC motors
- Engine blueprinting and machining certification

If that's not enough proof for you your highness, i took a few pics of stuff i had laying around like my Honda/automotive certifications, my BS in industrial design, my honda tech uniform, my Bosch business card. There is no dishonesty or exaggeration on my part and I blacked out my full name to keep my family's and my own privacy safe.

During my time at Bosch I designed and blueprinted motor parts from scratch for Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. At SAIC motors I did the same thing and worked on autonomous driving vehicles. I'm the guy who does all the design, math, engineering, and CAD design for automotive components that go into racing and production vehicles. I've worked in race shops and dealerships and built plenty of motors; and I've even done automotive design for Honda corporate. What are your qualifications buddy? Have you ever even turned a wrench?

Do I claim to know it all... NOPE, never have. That's why I ask a lot of questions... TO LEARN! Even if I think I know something, I'll ask questions on this forum just to share and learn from the knowledge of others and their experience. That's not arrogance, it's curiosity.

Nothing in my post was arrogant. I simply asked about bronze valve guide wear... What's wrong or arrogant about that. During my entire time as a tech at Honda we only had 3 S2000's come in for service and ALL of them had prematurely worn valve guides. S2000's don't come into the shop very often here and so I was trying to learn more about them since I had just purchased a used one w/ many previous owners and was not too familiar with the F series motor as I am with other Honda motors. I did my own research and found others who had issues with valve guide wear and even posted a link. There is even someone who posted here that also had the same issue; so clearly I wasn't alone.

A well respected S2Ki forum member responded by stating his dislike for aftermarket components, which is fine; but it had nothing to do with what I was asking. No disrespect to this member was intended. Even though I have a lot of respect for this forum member and his experience, I wasn't about to redo my whole valve train based on a single opinion when I've used that stuff before in numerous other builds (albeit not for S2000's) and never had a problem. This forum member has his own opinion based on his experience, and I have my own. All I said was in my response was that I'm not interested in opinions on Ferrea stuff or other brand names, and that my questions were about bronze valve guides and valve guide wear. Again, what's wrong or arrogant about that?

Do I need to have my shop foreman, or my other tech friends, or my Honda/Bosch/SAIC Motor auto & mech engineering collegues join this thread just to chime in and validate what I'm saying with their knowledge and experience? I studied materials science and I know about the properties of bronze and was simply asking how bronze valve guides fair in the S2000 motor.

How does that relate to your terrible and unrelated analogy about forged wheels? Do you even know what an analogy is? Did I say that my car is FI and I was racing and blew my head gasket and had worn guides.... NO I DIDN'T! My car was just purchased used at 30K miles and was a stock daily driver and I knew it shouldn't have these issues already. I also saw others with the same issue from my experience and was asking the forum on what their thoughts and experience was. Your analogy about forged wheels was utter nonsense and wasn't related to anything I said.

I'm not trying to lecture you for old stuff, but you made unwarranted insults toward me and I have to stand up for myself. The only thing "laughable" is your ignorance and attitude problem. You're quick to insult and pass judgement without having all the facts or thinking about things rationally. You are arrogant and you need to get off your high horse before you start judging others. The forum is to share knowledge and there are no dumb questions.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting topic. I learn a lot from the post like this. No post is dumb. Anyway we all cannot win an argument in INTERNET, so let’s keep emotions out, don’t attack & show respect.

Should changing valve guides be part of my next 300k-miles maintenance items? I was only going to change the valve seals.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 1,249 Likes on 760 Posts

Lets keep it about head/valves/guides gentlemen and make some headway

It’s been a few years on this topic, but can add:

I currently have two customers that had worn guides, currently running bronze guides. All other parts are oem. I can get the name of the manufacturer it needed. Both cars are doing well, but not sure the mileage is sufficient to determine longevity.

One car has around 4k miles with the bronze guides, which includes a track day and a trip to the dragon. 1800 miles round trip, plus an entire week of running hard, 500-700 miles.

I had a local builder do the head and guides, he has been in business for nearly 50 years, and is used by performance guys area wide.

Car is an 04-05. Exhaust clearances set to .012. After 1000 mile run-in, all 8 valves have maintained .012 which is optimistic.

His car was a ringer amongst only a few known others. It was unusually faster than others when 100% stock, likely to being leaner. From there, he added a hytec header, tp, and single exhaust. While not 100%, I believe this may have pushed his car beyond the lean threshold and caused the guide wear.

He has returned to OEM header and high flow cat after the build to dial things back.

Last edited by Billman250; 08-09-2018 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions about bronze & cast iron valve guides