S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Questions about bronze & cast iron valve guides

Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I've had bronze guides installed on other heads, not on F series. imo, it's one of those things you service once it's life is up or you find that youre having issues with burnt valves.
The point of bronze guides is to help transfer heat away from the valve. I can't speak on service life of a bronze guide as ive never worn one out...but ive also never used them in anything other than a race application.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StockSH
Very interesting topic. I learn a lot from the post like this. No post is dumb. Anyway we all cannot win an argument in INTERNET, so let’s keep emotions out, don’t attack & show respect.

Should changing valve guides be part of my next 300k-miles maintenance items? I was only going to change the valve seals.
I agree with your comment. As far as your valve guides, have you ever had them replaced before? If so at what mileage? Is your car a daily driver or tracked, is it tuned, or FI? Are you having any issues with burning oil, valve free play, or burnt valves? Keep in mind replacing the guides will require you to remove the head; although if they're showing signs of wear and you were already planning to replace the seals, then it's certainly a good idea to replace them especially at 300k miles assuming it wasn't done recently.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250

Lets keep it about head/valves/guides gentlemen and make some headway

It’s been a few years on this topic, but can add:

I currently have two customers that had worn guides, currently running bronze guides. All other parts are oem. I can get the name of the manufacturer it needed. Both cars are doing well, but not sure the mileage is sufficient to determine longevity.

One car has around 4k miles with the bronze guides, which includes a track day and a trip to the dragon. 1800 miles round trip, plus an entire week of running hard, 500-700 miles.

I had a local builder do the head and guides, he has been in business for nearly 50 years, and is used by performance guys area wide.

Car is an 04-05. Exhaust clearances set to .012. After 1000 mile run-in, all 8 valves have maintained .012 which is optimistic.

His car was a ringer amongst only a few known others. It was unusually faster than others when 100% stock, likely to being leaner. From there, he added a hytec header, tp, and single exhaust. While not 100%, I believe this may have pushed his car beyond the lean threshold and caused the guide wear.

He has returned to OEM header and high flow cat after the build to dial things back.
This is very interesting, especially since the car was otherwise stock. So was it just the exhaust guides that were worn?

Tracking it would certainly cause faster wear, but I'd expect it to make it past 4k miles before they'd be worn. How long was the header and other mods on the car for and were they added after the bronze guides were used? If it's not too much trouble I'd love to know the manufacturer. Thanks for the updated info.

I actually decided to go with OEM guides in my head being that I wasn't sold on bronze guides and their longevity/benefits; but then again my original OEM guides also wore out prematurely for some reason but with 3 previous owners of the car there are too many variables for me to know why.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Charper732
I've had bronze guides installed on other heads, not on F series. imo, it's one of those things you service once it's life is up or you find that youre having issues with burnt valves.
The point of bronze guides is to help transfer heat away from the valve. I can't speak on service life of a bronze guide as ive never worn one out...but ive also never used them in anything other than a race application.
Bronze and bronze alloy is also used in guides for its lubricity properties vs cast iron guides. Any data I've seen from back in the days of my engine blueprinting jobs only showed minimal benefits and it was only in the case of race applications. What mods did the motors you used bronze guides in have and what brand were the guides?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

JDM bronze guides I know of:
- JUN Auto Racing Valve Guide Set https://www.rhdjapan.com/jun-auto-ra...t-ap1-ap2.html
- TODA Racing Honda S2000 Bronze Valve Guide https://www.misanomotorsports.com/co...ze-valve-guide
Old 08-10-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet_S
Bronze and bronze alloy is also used in guides for its lubricity properties vs cast iron guides. Any data I've seen from back in the days of my engine blueprinting jobs only showed minimal benefits and it was only in the case of race applications. What mods did the motors you used bronze guides in have and what brand were the guides?
My background is in powersports, specifically AMA supersport and motocross. That is where the majority of my experience is from. I've only ever used C630 guides and seats from either Del West or Kibble White. I just recently moved to sport compact the past couple years as this is my hobby now.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can i use these ferret bronze valve guide with OEM valves and OEM valve seals?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What irritates me is that everything is called "bronze", but there are a lot of different alloys with different mechanical properties. Without knowing what exact material was used it is really hard to judge what's good and what's not.