S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

questions on clutch master cylinder

Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default questions on clutch master cylinder

it seems i have a very slow leaking master clutch cylinder. about a year ago i noticed my clutch felt really bad one day when driving it. i checked the fluid and it was almost empty. so i flushed the clutch fluid and filled it back up, and after that the clutch felt great. about 6 months after doing the flush i noticed something starting to not feel right in the engagement point of my clutch. so i go to check my fluid and the fluid level had dropped from full to inbetween the min and max mark in a matter of 5-6 months. plus it was black. i get under the dash and look around the cluth pedal and i noticed some black fluid around the master cylinder that felt and smelled some what like brake fluid. so i automaticaly assume i have a bad master cylinder. i just did another flush until i get a new master cylinder, but the clutch still doesnt feel quite right.

i did some search, but couldnt really find the answers. so my questions are...

-Is the clutch master cylinder the same on all years? i know the slave cylinder is different. just not sure on the master...
-After replacing the master cylinder will i need to re-adjust the pedal for the engagement point?
-And last question is where is the full engagement poitn on the clutch? mine starts to grab a little after mid release and comepltely grabs right at the end release of the pedal. i am sking this because i remember have a little bit of play from after the clutch grabbed till the pedal was fully released. could this and the weird feeling in the clutch be because of my bad master cylinder?

thanks in advance. sorry it is kind of long :\
Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFAIK all MY master cylinders are the same with only the slave cylinders being different in AP2 models. You should replace the leaking master cylinder ASAP. Be sure to fully bleed the new master cylinder and slave cylinder of all air and you should have the like new clutch feel once again, unless you are having other than hydraulic clutch issues.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 PM

there's a diy here on s2ki or s2kca, cheap part and easy fix, or just keep topping off and bleeding your fluid...
Old 02-26-2010, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

define "weird clutch feeling"...

if your MC is leaking, then it will require more and more pedal travel to disengage the clutch, and it will engage closer to the floor the lower the fluid level. plus, depending on the severity of the leak, you could be introducing air into the system, which will cause inconsistent pedal feel.

the MC is not all that difficult to change, i think the part is around $100 and it should take maybe an hour by yourself. once you install it, bleed it to make sure ALL of the air is out of the system; the clutch pedal can be adjusted to change the engagement point, but in my experience it'll typically be about halfway to the floor. if you change it, just make sure you leave a little free play at the very top before resistance starts.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:03 PM

the weird feeling is kind of hard to describe. the clutch just doesnt feel like it used to. i feel like the engagement point is different. especially since there isnt much play at the top of the pedal anymore. like once the pedal is completely let off is when the clutch grabs. there used to be a bit more play at the top of the pedal. the clutch feels a bit soft at times, but then other times driving it, it feels firm. i bled the system so there was no air, but maybe the leak in the MC is sucking air? the leak in the MC is not too big of a leak because it took about 5-6 months for the fluid to drop from max to inbetween min and max. the clutch sometimes feels likemy car is an 03 and has about 60k miles on it. i never have launched it. just punch it in gears for a little. i dont think my clutch itself is starting to go, because it still grabs nice and hard inbetween shift and under WOT. no slipping going on at all.
hardtopguy has the MC for 70 so ill prob just put an order and change it out and see where it takes me. i just hope it feels good again after. am i going to have to adjust the pedal after installing a new one? or will the engagement point be already set to where it should be after swaping these out?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM

when mine was going out the clutch disengagement got lower and lower until eventually it was just tension/pressure only 1/4" from fully depressed and shifts were grinding, don't wait too long in ordering...