S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Rad Hose clamp replacement challenge- advice? Thermostat replacement too? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/rad-hose-clamp-replacement-challenge-advice-thermostat-replacement-too-1182039/)

darcyw 02-18-2018 06:16 PM

Rad Hose clamp replacement challenge- advice? Thermostat replacement too?

So, I'm usually a handy type of guy, but these rad hose clamps are seriously testing me.

I've gotten 3 hose clamps off so far- both upper rad hose clamps and lower rad hose clamp at the rad itself. But the one that attaches to the thermostat housing is not an easy task.

Does anyone have advice for its removal? I was just thinking that perhaps I should just replace the thermostat while I'm at it, removing the T-stat housing with the hose attached, then removing the hose and reinstalling at the same time.

thoughts?

Also, how often does the T-stat need replacement? The car has 71K miles, and is a 2003.

thanks everyone.
darcy

windhund116 02-18-2018 07:36 PM

I used a 9 or 12 inch Channel-lock tongue-&-groove plier (I call them "Channellocks"), to remove the clamps. Some Liquid Wrench lube spray between hose & fitting and twist the hose off the old fittings, using same wrench. Careful, not to damage the fittings.

I use new clamps with the new hoses.

Good luck! :)

darcyw 02-19-2018 08:01 PM

thanks for the advice.

I got the clamps off and the hoses off. Tenacity. That's what it takes. I removed or moved many hoses and brackets and clamps and such to get better access.

At first I thought putting those clamps back on was going to be a real challenge- until I realized Honda uses snap clamps. Set the hose clamp to full open in the locked position- then push down and it snaps into place.

Thank goodness I won't do this again for another 15 years :)

darcy

HarryD 02-20-2018 08:55 AM

My car is about as old as yours, but replacing the rad hoses hasn't been on my radar.

Out of curiosity, how was the condition of the hoses/connectors now that you have them off the car?

darcyw 02-20-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD (Post 24422586)
My car is about as old as yours, but replacing the rad hoses hasn't been on my radar.

Out of curiosity, how was the condition of the hoses/connectors now that you have them off the car?

you know, they actually look really good. 71K miles with as recommended coolant changes. I've squeezed them looking for points of concern- but they look just fine.
So, maybe a bunch of skinned knuckles all for nothing. But, since I'm selling the car in the spring, I wanted to pass on a car that a potential buyer would have confidence in.

darcy

noodels 02-20-2018 05:40 PM

Bottom rad hose clamp has a habit to rust through :clock:

darcyw 02-21-2018 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by noodels (Post 24422789)
Bottom rad hose clamp has a habit to rust through :clock:

I've been impressed that all the clamps look factory new- being summer driven only helps. The salt here is relentless in the winter.

darcy