S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ran low on oil and killed the engine, what are my options

Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran low on oil and killed the engine, what are my options

Car is a 2002 ap1, stock, with 140k on the clock, daily driver. Ran low on oil and is now making an awfully loud ticking, pretty sure the engine is toast. I'm going to take the oilpan off next weekend, and also planning to check under the valve cover. From what I've read on here, it's most likely one of the bearings went.

I think a used engine is probably my cheapest / easiest option. Do I stay away from JDM engines? Or will it just "plug and play" with my US cars wiring and ECU? Do I have to find a 2002 engine? Or will any AP1 work? What about an AP2 engine? Anyone recommend a good way to find a used s2000 motor in the LA area?

Just wanted to get some input on what my options are. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by maifren22
Skateboard, bicycle, scooter.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:28 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Repeal and replace
Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Most likely it's just your block, no need to replace the head. I'd stick with strictly ap1 to make it the cheapest/easiest.
The following users liked this post:
maifren22 (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Car is a 2002 ap1, stock, with 140k on the clock, daily driver. Ran low on oil and is now making an awfully loud ticking, pretty sure the engine is toast. I'm going to take the oilpan off next weekend, and also planning to check under the valve cover. From what I've read on here, it's most likely one of the bearings went.

I think a used engine is probably my cheapest / easiest option. Do I stay away from JDM engines? Or will it just "plug and play" with my US cars wiring and ECU? Do I have to find a 2002 engine? Or will any AP1 work? What about an AP2 engine? Anyone recommend a good way to find a used s2000 motor in the LA area?

I'd prolly run a compression test, leak-down, check the oil and filter --- then try to rule-out probable problems, before ripping the engine apart. May help you decide what the next steps will be.

Good luck!
maifren22 (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Its possible you may be able to save the motor. The process would be:

Remove pan

Remove rod caps, inspect bearings, inspect crank

If crank is not too bad, you can carefully hand polish crank

Then replace bearings with same size bearings from factory (this hand built engine used several possible bearing sizes to compensate for manufacturing tolerances)

Check everything with plastigauge

Assemble with assembly lube

Perform a break in cycle for your driving style for the first 1k or so miles, using dino oil (not synthetic) do oil change

This is not a diy to learn on your own. You want someone that has experience with this to be involved.

But if your crank isn't toast, you could potentially fix this for not a lot of cash.
maifren22 (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you meant LA as in Los Angeles and not Louisiana, I have heard HMotorsonline is a reliable source for engines. I believe they may have an F20C engine available that will fit your car but it's gonna cost you. They are in the Los Angeles area.
maifren22 (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, I'll report back after the weekend.

If the crank bearings went, how do I rule out that the head is still good? Wouldn't metal bits have found their way up there and damaged things?

Originally Posted by nfr118
If you meant LA as in Los Angeles and not Louisiana, I have heard HMotorsonline is a reliable source for engines. I believe they may have an F20C engine available that will fit your car but it's gonna cost you. They are in the Los Angeles area.
Thanks for the tip, I had not heard of them, but they apparently a few blocks from my house.

If it comes down to me needing a new engine, is there anything to worry about with running the JDM motor on the US ECU that's already in the car?

If I go the F22C route, I should avoid running it with my 02 ECU right? It'll run too lean? If I go with the 04-05 motor and ECU, I'll need to have the key programmed for the new ECU?
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

JDM motors have slightly higher compression, but the computer can compensate for 91 octane piss water. Use JDM engines with confidence.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, I'll report back after the weekend.

If the crank bearings went, how do I rule out that the head is still good? Wouldn't metal bits have found their way up there and damaged things?

Thanks for the tip, I had not heard of them, but they apparently a few blocks from my house.

If it comes down to me needing a new engine, is there anything to worry about with running the JDM motor on the US ECU that's already in the car?

If I go the F22C route, I should avoid running it with my 02 ECU right? It'll run too lean? If I go with the 04-05 motor and ECU, I'll need to have the key programmed for the new ECU?
So if it was me, I'd pull the engine and tear it down and then figure out what I'm doing after I've had the crank and block inspected.

The in-the-car rod bearing replacement approach suggested is, essentially, a prayer that the damage is limited to a worn rod bearing.

If the crank is still good and the rod bearings are not too badly worn then it is hard to imagine where metal bits would come from to damage the head.

If it really bothers you, you can pull the head, inspect the cylinder bores, pop the pistons out, inspect the pistons and rings, disassemble the head, clean everything, look for damage, replace worn parts and then reassemble it. But that's a lot of work and money if the main bearings are shot which you won't discover during an in-the-car rebuild.

You can run a compression test after you replace the rod bearings and see if any of the cylinders are down on compression, suggesting cylinder wear or valve damage.

If the quick bearing change doesn't solve the problems, you now have to choose between a real rebuild and a junk yard engine.

Quick Reply: ran low on oil and killed the engine, what are my options