S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

RE: Back to the U.S. of A and time for maintenance

Old 03-11-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Back to the U.S. of A and time for maintenance

So my car has finally returned to the U.S. after nearly 4 years of living in Japan. I didn't have a garage in Japan and was long overdue on some maintenance. I miss Japan very much, but I am happy to once again have a garage where I can do my post track inspections, servicing, and maintenance without having to pay for a stall and having to rush everything to be out before close.

I followed Rob Robinette's write up for wheel bearings down to the last detail including purchasing the same tools from the same sources. The only differences are Autozone doesn't carry Timken bearings anymore, so I went with National, and I decided to purchase new hubs from HPD instead of cutting the portion of the bearing off the old hub and because I preferred new with ARP wheel studs. The wheel bearings are quite easy, the hardest part about it is having enough heavy metal or iron plates to level out the knuckle perfectly under the press, other than that it is easy.

Also besides Rob's excellent write up the following video is a good one to follow, especially with freezing the bearings prior to install.

Track Life - How to Install Wheel Bearings

Rob Robinette Wheel Bearing Write Up

In addition, I wanted to clean up my engine bay after a nasty battery spill that destroyed my OEM heat shield and messed up a little paint in the bay and wheel wells. I cleaned everything up as good as I could without pulling the motor. The Password JDM heat shield is a nice piece, but very pricey for what it is. I was kind of reluctant, but what else is there? OEM, J's with the torque dampener hole and PWJDM.

Lastly, I went back to an odyssey PC680 since I can actually have it shipped to my house now.

Harbor Freight Bearing Press only $84 with a Super Coupon!

Old Rear Bearings...yuck! The fronts weren't as bad considering my rather thick, slightly bigger diameter front BBK and one of the first batch of WASP brake cooling kits...I think the newer WASP cooling kits are much better quality. (at least I hope)

Still have more plans before I put it back on the road and track. Looking at getting rid of my Spoon N1 for a Toda dual to go with my Toda goodies I picked up while overseas. I also want to get a new radiator and remove the AC. Later on not too far down the road, I will address getting a roll bar / cage that is acceptable in NASA since that is my only option now at my new home in the states. Also a hard top soon.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 214 Likes on 137 Posts

Love your car man, and love that it's been to Japan and back. Good call going with new hubs instead of re-using your old stuff.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Is the car right or left hand drive?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japan is awesome. I loved it there