S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Re-Installing Rear Knuckle, Axle Not Fitting Flush

Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Installing Rear Knuckle, Axle Not Fitting Flush

Howdy,

Quick question for yall. I'm in the middle of replacing my wheel bearings and hubs, and despite some delays on parts delivery, things seem to be going well. I'm putting the rear knuckles back on the axles however, and while the driver side the assembly slides all the way back flush with the end of the axle, the passenger side isn't wanting to cooperate.

My first thought is that I could just axle nut and tighten it on the end to push the knuckle back, but I am concerned about the possible implications if that doesn't work. I've tried using force (BFH) and greasing the axle splines to get it in, but it just doesn't want to fit flush all the way back like the driver's side. Any advice on how to get this done, or what to look for?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:33 PM

Did you or did you use a shop to press in/out the hubs and bearings? The bearings maybe have not been supported when being pressed in which may have cause the inner race to have pushed out. You can see for yourself if the hub and bearing aren't seated correctly by looking at where the axle face would rest against the knuckle and see if the bearing and the open of the hub is sitting flush.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by sgvsuperdude
Did you or did you use a shop to press in/out the hubs and bearings? The bearings maybe have not been supported when being pressed in which may have cause the inner race to have pushed out. You can see for yourself if the hub and bearing aren't seated correctly by looking at where the axle face would rest against the knuckle and see if the bearing and the open of the hub is sitting flush.

I used a shop press to install the bearings/hub, and I supporting the inside bearing race when I was pressing the hub in to it. I actually ended up getting it to flush up with the hub using an axle nut and just holding on to the hub to keep it from spinning while I tightened it to push the axle into the hub. I used one of the old axle nuts since I'm replacing them, and took it off once I had fully seated the axle. So far so good, the work continues!