S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Really need help w/ head gasket thickness/piston to valve clearance & timing chain

Old 07-04-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes dbw valve cover with cam sensor and trigger wheel.
It's probably possible to run AP1 cams but since the trigger wheel needs to be swapped maybe it's better to just swap both cams.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charper732
If that head height doesnt measure even at any given point then your machine shop did not set that head up correctly and it was milled at an angle.

I've got a head that was taken off a 40k f20 engine. Ive been keeping it as a spare, but I'd sell it. It has skunk2 dual valve springs and ti retainers. I had it milled flat with .003" taken off...which is standard for any used head.
thanks for the reply. so where are you located and how much are you asking for the head? does it come with the complete valvetrain including the cam caps and cams? What condition are the valve guides, seals, and valve seats? Any chance you'd sell just the bare head? I already have two complete sets of valvetrains, so a bare head is all i need.

Also, after you had the head machined; did you measure it to be sure only .003" was taken off? It'd be great if you can measure it and let me know what the cylinder head's height is currently at.

If you're not local (im in san jose, ca) are you ok with shipping it? Any pics?
Old 07-30-2018, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
The air injection holes in the exhaust runners will be plugged in the other end by the dbw intake manifold.
So should be good to go.
So I got an AP1 head from a 2002 S2000, but i'm confused on how to make it work with my 2006 intake manifold and bottom end due to the air injection port/hole. It appears that 06 dbw intake manifold doesn't plug up the air pump hole/port/passageway.

The pics below are of my 2006 intake manifold. You can see that the port/hole/passageway for the air pump is in fact still present on the dbw manifold and this opening goes all the way through the intake manifold, to the outside where the air injection valve body would sit on top of an AP1 intake manifold. I can’t use a block off plate either because there are no threaded holes in my 2006 intake manifold to screw the block off plate down to since it doesn’t have the air injection valve body to begin with.

It seems that Honda only closed up the port for the air pump directly on the 2006+ head itself, but the 2006+ intake manifolds still have the passageway without the bolts holes for the air pump valve body.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone out there used an AP1 head with 2006+ intake manifold & bottom end? I don't want to have to get an AP1 intake manifold.

Do I need to tap and plug the hole in the AP1 head or in my 2006 intake manifold? What do I need to do to make this AP1 head work with my 2006 bottom end and intake manifold, or is it not possible?

Also, can I use my 2006 valve train, cam towers, rocker assembly, timing chain/timing gears, coils, and the 2006 gaskets (head/intake & exhaust manifold) with the AP1 head? Are all the port sizes the same?

I know the AP1 has two cam sensors, so can I still use my 2006 valve cover and wiring harness with the AP1 head? Thanks

Old 07-30-2018, 02:48 AM

Hm sorry for the misinformation, I was pretty sure I've seen that hole missing on the dbw intake manifold.
Weird that Honda would go through that extra work for something not needed.
It doesn't really matter were you plug the air injection ports, right in the exhaust runner, intake side of head or in your dbw manifold.
The least risky would probably be in the dbw manifold but it's all up to you.

Yes you need to use your 2006 valve cover with cam sensor and trigger wheel, all other head parts should be interchangeable except maybe the coils.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Hm sorry for the misinformation, I was pretty sure I've seen that hole missing on the dbw intake manifold.
Weird that Honda would go through that extra work for something not needed.
It doesn't really matter were you plug the air injection ports, right in the exhaust runner, intake side of head or in your dbw manifold.
The least risky would probably be in the dbw manifold but it's all up to you.

Yes you need to use your 2006 valve cover with cam sensor and trigger wheel, all other head parts should be interchangeable except maybe the coils.
Yeah it's weird and unfortunate because now I've wasted money on an AP1 head that I can't use. The air injection hole is clearly present on a 2006 intake manifold and it goes all the way through the manifold to the outside where the air injection valve body/housing would sit on a 00-03 manifold (see first 2 pics below). However, the corresponding air injection hole/passageway is not present on the 2006 head itself (see 3rd pic below).

It appears that Honda must've only made one casting mold for the intake manifold, thus the intake manifold for every year S2K has the flange and passageway for the air injection... BUT it's on the actual head itself for the 2006+ models where the air injection hole/passageway is blocked off/missing, not on the intake manifold as people seem to think. This means you can't use an AP1 head w/ a 2006+ intake manifold and block.

It appears that if anyone is trying to use an AP1 head with a 2006+ block and intake manifold w/ DBW, they'd have to use a block off plate for the air injection valve. The problem is that the intake manifolds for the 2006+ models don't have threaded bolt holes to mount a block off plate (see pic 2). Is it possible to have a machine shop tap & thread holes for mounting a block off plate? Would this cause the head to crack in that area or would it have any negative effects?

If I can't find a way to get a block off plate mounted to cover the air injection hole, I'll have no other option but to buy a new 2006 head and that's crazy expensive (around $1800 for a bare head).

Is it possible that somehow my car didn't come with an actual 2006 intake manifold??? Perhaps a previous owner swapped out the intake manifold from another year. The last pic below is a shot of the manifold that came with my car. Does that look like a OEM 2006 intake manifold? Is there a way to distinguish a 2006 year manifold from another year?

air injection hole on my 2006 intake manifold

air injection valve mounting flange on my 2006 intake manifold

air injection hole is blocked off by honda on my 2006 cyl head

the intake manifold that came w/ my car... This is a OEM 2006 intake manifold correct?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Looks like my 2006+ (drive-by-wire) intake manifold. One (1) PCV inlet. The non-DBW cars have three inlets for little hoses.

-- Chuck
Old 07-31-2018, 04:37 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

This seems like an easy fix. Buy the block off plate from Puddymod and just drill/tap those holes on the manifold. Or press fit a rod on the flange hole of the intake manifold. I wouldn't do anything to the head. I bet you could get someone to weld the block off plate onto the manifold as well if you don't want to drill and tap.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:29 AM

Don't make this more complicated than it is, of course you can still use that AP1 head.
Just fill up that air injection hole on your 2006+ intake manifold with JB weld and it's good to go.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Just block off the hole in IM. Or see if one of the years IM gasket has that hole plugged.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:57 AM

IM gasket is the same for all years.

Quick Reply: Really need help w/ head gasket thickness/piston to valve clearance & timing chain