S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear Axle Nut TSB - DIY

Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did this tonight, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think it took me a total of 15 minutes to do both wheels. Using a cheater bar helps a lot, I picked one up from Home Depot that's about 4 feet for pretty cheap. I don't have any 3/4 drive tools in my collection so I went to Harbor Freight and they wound up having a 3/4 drive tool set on sale that comes with a breaker bar, ratchet, a couple extensions, and a lot of sockets (including a 36mm) which turned out to be perfect for this job. I would argue that you could rename this tool set the "s2000 Rear Axle Nut TSB Tool Set".

Name:  axleNutz2.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  61.3 KB

I have pretty good upper body strength but I was still a little worried I wouldn't be able to do this job by myself. Using the cheater bar and 3/4 drive tools made this job super easy, I was pretty surprised and happy with the results. Getting the nut to move an extra 60 degrees was no problem at all.

Thanks for the write-up and info guys!!

Name:  axleNutz1.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  97.2 KB
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

1/2" drive breaker bar would suffice if you have a quality one. I never had a problem tightening them with my 1/2" ratchet.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:38 AM

Will this corded electric impact wrench work to loosen and tighten the axle nut? It says its good for Torque Ft./Lbs:350 ft. lbs. Im going to be doing this soon and need to decide between a breaker bar or an impact wrench

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-8-amp...2&blockType=G2
Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It might be enough to loosen it. It won't be enough to tighten it.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM

A lot of impact guns are reverse biased so it may not have enough umph to tighten. Ive only used two electric impact guns to tighten the axle nuts, and they were both cordless.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 AM

Ive been daily driving my car like this for months. It started handling funny a week ago. I decided it was time to fix the "bearing" did some research. When I looked for the axle nut, it was missing and the thread was sheered off. Broken. Gone! I parked it at my parents and borrowed my dads truck. My question is: how dangerous was this? There are only two shops that my S has been in: The Honda dealership and Discount Tier. The Honda dealership tightened it over half a year ago so I doubt it was them. Since then, I got new wheels with bald tiers. When I swapped the wheels, the nut was still on and good. Discount Tiers told me that I had a bad wheel bearing, but other then that my car looked great. I put it off to fix later. My theory is, one of the technicians decided to "fix" the problem by tightening the NUT, snapped it off, didnt tell anyone and here I am.

Question 1: What will I need to fix this and how much will it cost without labor (part numbers would be really helpful)
Question 2: Could this have been overtightened and then snapped off while I was driving? Is this possible, or only during tightening with a crazy shop air powered impact wrench?
Question 3: Do I have a case against Discount Tiers? Willful Negligence? Is it worth perusing it 2 months after the fact?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Just did this today on both sides. Driver side started clicking last week and I'm glad I ran into this thread. Thanks for the write-up. Very easy job, took me a little longer because I had to drive out to Lowe's to get a cheater bar. Sound is gone, hopefully it won't come back!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had a slight wurring sound that appears to be coming from thecdrivers side rear wheel between 60 mph and up. 2005 with 70k miles. Anyone think my bearing is going? I did get a few slight clunks from the rear lately too while turning hard.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 AM

I had a guy do this for me with some sort of air gun today... Do you think that's ok? I it was 60 deg past the original setting.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 PM

It should be okay. I used an impact gun also.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Nut TSB - DIY