S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing the cat from my S

Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing the cat from my S

Hello all! Can someone tell me if removing the cat from my S will improve anything in my car? I have a spoon snorkel and a spoon air filter. Some say that I will feel a slightly better in low and medium rev.. It's true? It will lost top speed? I already read such diferent opinion about this matter...And it's safe for the car?
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You will feel it, you won't lose power, and you will smell it. It won't cause any damage to the car. You will need to fool the rear O2 sensor, however, to avoid the check engine light. Be aware of you local laws regarding tampering with pollution controls and emissions inspections.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 AM

Smell? It will be a lot comparing to the normal?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Think Green. Just leave it where it is. 2 hp is not worth the trees you will be killing.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

just get a berk hi flo cat.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by miguelbenedito
Smell? It will be a lot comparing to the normal?
You'll smell the exhaust when you're idling and the top is down. If you have ladies in the car you are trying to impress, you should avoid it
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 AM

Makes your car feel and look like a beater, the smell, sound, smoke, and stained rear bumpers is barely worth it
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Celica
Makes your car feel and look like a beater, the smell, sound, smoke, and stained rear bumpers is barely worth it
I didn't know you could see under the car, how short are you?

I have a testpipe, but with a T1R dual sparrow (dolphin tips), so no stained rear bumper, I don't notice the smell unless I'm at a complete stop for a while, but my eyes to burn lol. It will change the tone of the exhaust a bit and give you 5hp or so. Still the best bang for the buck but you aren't going to notice 5hp. It isn't going to do any harm to your car, for the price 60-100, buy it, see if you like it, if you don't, you can turn around and sell it for what you bought it for. Good luck
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM

I barely notice the smell, usually just when sitting idle for too long. My Invidia Q300 dual sticks out past the bumper, so no stained rear bumper. It is definitely worth the price. However, as mentioned, double check with the state emissions rules so that you don't get hit with a ticket. No inspections where I live, so I can go with the TP no issues.

But just to be clear, you can't just remove the cat, you have to put either a TP in it's place or get another High Flow Cat (like the Berk). You could go straight pipe as well if you want that setup. Your original post almost sounds like you just want to remove the cat and then leave it be.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

TP results in ~5whp peak or so after tuned (more with a lowered vtec x-over in the midrange). Gernby did some thorough testing on an AP2, and you can decide for yourself.

For those that complain about the soot on the rear bumper, my ap2 had that problem from the first day I got it. It was no worse after installing a test pipe. The exhaust tone changed and has a slight rasp and sometimes you can smell the exhaust when stopped at a light, but other than that, it's by far the best bang for the buck mod you can do.

Quick Reply: Removing the cat from my S