S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   S2000 running on 2 cylinders (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/s2000-running-2-cylinders-1191599/)

ZSH_S2K 02-04-2019 11:45 AM

S2000 running on 2 cylinders

Guys,

I have a MY01' S2000 and I just replaced the fuel tank (it had rust in it), fuel pump, and fuel filter. The pump was rusted pretty bad. I cleared the fuel lines out pretty good and went to start the car. It started but only ran on the back two cylinders. I tested by removing the ignition coil clips, and then moving them around to make sure the ignition coils were good. Ignition coils checked out good. I think bad fuel sat in the injectors and gummed it up (it had been sitting for 2 years or so - not in my possession* I have to note that because I'd get some hate mail lol). I started it up with a little bit of starter fluid and it runs on the 2 cylinder but its real rough. I have just now sent the injectors to Injector RX. That being said, could any damage have been done by running it for a very short time (15-25 seconds) when I was checking to see if it would clear itself up and start running smoothly?

s2000Junky 02-04-2019 11:55 AM

As long as there was oil lubrication a couple clogged injectors I wouldn't think would cause any issue in that time. Its worse if you have fuel and no spark, then you can get fuel wash.

ZSH_S2K 02-04-2019 12:02 PM

I dont know if the injectors were working though. They may have been stuck on. Whats fuel wash (if you dont mind me asking)? It still turns over and sounds regular right now.

Car Analogy 02-04-2019 12:26 PM

Fuel wash. When raw fuel gets pumped into the cylinder, but never ignited. It then acts as a solvent, wqshing the oil off the cylinder walls, so as the piston moves up and down the rings are scraping along with no lube.

The raw fuel also easily leaks past the rings and gets into the oil pan, where it dilutes the oil. So oil pumped to bearings is compromised. You get accelerated wear throughout the motor.

You fortunately have the opposite problem. Spark but no fuel. Much safer.

ZSH_S2K 02-04-2019 12:40 PM

It's quite possible that, because the plugs were getting wet with fuel, they wouldnt spart? Or they still would? I guess I should change the oil again, too? It wouldn't be too bad because I'd just have to purchase another 5 qt of oil (and I have a fumoto valve). Thank you for all the input. It is greatly appreciated and I will keep you guys updated on the repairs. Would the bearings be compromised if gas did get down there? Would I be okay with just draining oil completely?

s2000Junky 02-04-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ZSH_S2K (Post 24562283)
It's quite possible that, because the plugs were getting wet with fuel, they wouldnt spart? Or they still would? I guess I should change the oil again, too? It wouldn't be too bad because I'd just have to purchase another 5 qt of oil (and I have a fumoto valve). Thank you for all the input. It is greatly appreciated and I will keep you guys updated on the repairs. Would the bearings be compromised if gas did get down there? Would I be okay with just draining oil completely?

Its better to be safe and change the oil if you are unsure of your issue. But there are some signs which should help point you in the direction of no fuel or no spark. Based on the OP it sounded like a fuel starvation issue, rather then a coil pack/spark issue. Do the spark plugs in the cylinders that are not running have wet fouled looking spark plugs? Or are they dry? How do the top of the pistons look when viewing down the pug hole. wet or dry?

noodels 02-04-2019 12:58 PM

My engine destroyed with bore wash on cyl 3 it spat a spark plug out due too damage on threads in head.
Another engine was needed..it does not take long to fcuk up a cylinder!!!! be warned..

ZSH_S2K 02-04-2019 12:59 PM

I'll change the oil again just to be safe. I literally changed it right before, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Definitely not a coil pack issue, I tested for that. I haven't checked the new spark plugs I put in yet. They've only been in there for like 3-5 engine starts while testing.

Two of the plugs that I pulled were wet around the edges (the two cylinders that were having trouble). The other two were fine. The pistons look dry, but I remember seeing the 4th cylinder piston looking like it had a shine to it (similar to gas), so they may have had some gas in the cylinders.

ZSH_S2K 02-04-2019 01:00 PM

@noodels I guess I am lucky that all 4 of my plugs are still in!

ZSH_S2K 02-06-2019 07:25 AM

Changed the oil again and did not find any metal shavings or gas in the oil at all. This is a good sign. Injectors were just received at Injector RX, so hopefully this solves my problems!