S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Schaeffer's Motor Oil (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/schaeffers-motor-oil-1167659/)

F-U-B-A-R 01-05-2017 02:20 PM

Schaeffer's Motor Oil

I've searched around & can't really find any reviews (from S owners) regarding this motor oil. I just wanted to see if anyone else runs it in their S. I don't know if its all in my head, but everything feels smoother & my motor is definitely quieter--I was previously using Amsoil. I'm going to go ahead & throw their gear lube in my diff. this weekend.

Am I the only person running this oil? Stuff is supposed to be amazing & recommended for FI.

cosmomiller 01-05-2017 06:08 PM

Never heard of them but I did go to their website. Not much on the actual lubricants and why one should consider them. Looked at a few pieces of the million mile engine teardown and it did seem somewhat unvarnished.

Schaeffer Oil | Million Mile Gasoline Engine Teardown

zeroptzero 01-05-2017 07:35 PM

It is a great oil, they used to be into moly additives which may explain the quiet operation on your engine if they still use the same level of additives now as they did in the past. If you go over to bobistheoilguy.com you will find lots of information about them, the founder of that website was a sales agent for the company before the forum got really big if I recall. I would have liked to try the oil but it isn't sold much in our area and you pretty much have to have it mail ordered here, wish it was more easily accessible, but it is a great oil IMO from everything I've seen of it.

lookstoomuch 01-05-2017 07:36 PM

What are you doing with your S which would require some ultra special(expensive) and hard to get oil?

F-U-B-A-R 01-05-2017 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch (Post 24129997)
What are you doing with your S which would require some ultra special(expensive) and hard to get oil?

I drive my S like I stole it... If I can use an oil that is going to decrease the wear--& hopefully prolong my engines life, I'm all for it. Its not very popular on this forum & was just curious on why that is,

Anyhow, $100 for 12 quarts--of synthetic--doesn't sound expensive to me,

HarryD 01-05-2017 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by F-U-B-A-R (Post 24130006)
hopefully prolong my engines life

Oil brands are just a gigantic pissing contest. Use a synthetic, in the proper weight, and they're all essentially "good enough" when it comes to real world engine life...

For what it's worth, I spent $64 for 25 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 last year. Rebates :banana:

Mijae007 01-05-2017 10:46 PM

All good enough maybe...but schaeffers oil is probably the best oil you can buy as a consumer. I guarantee you itll catch on like jdm and spread like wildfire as soon as more people find out about it and take it to the lab.

shind3 01-06-2017 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mijae007 (Post 24130020)
I guarantee you itll catch on like jdm and spread like wildfire as soon as more people find out about it and take it to the lab.

LOL. Or maybe a more appropriate hyperbole would be to compare it to the radioactive water courtesy of Fukushima...

I suppose 'taking it to the lab' and providing objective A to B comparison data is too much to ask for the company trying to sell their own product. There are enough ASTM and/or MIL standards to cover all bases but apparently 'hot dang hot dang a modern engine lasted a million miles and it's all due to the oil instead of the engineering that went into the engine itself' is more sensational and likely to entice sheeple such as yourself.

I would like them to repeat the same test with Mobil 1 0W-40...

zeroptzero 01-06-2017 12:03 PM

Schaeffers is a great oil no two ways about it, pricing is good, they have a very basic base oil composition, but they combine it with a great additive package focusing mainly on moly as the anti-wear additive.

Motor oil discussions always seem to go off on tangents as many people have their favourite brands, you come across lots of anecdotal evidence and old wives tails when it comes to oil experiences. It is easy to get into arguments over synthetic vs. conventional, thick oil vs. thin oil, and other crazy stuff.

People should all run whatever oil they like, motor oil has improved tremendously in recent years, you will be hard pressed to find a bad oil. I can't see any modern engine failing due to oil brand choice these days, they tend to wear out for other reasons.

s2000Junky 01-06-2017 12:28 PM

I prefer the taste of Valvoline full syn myself. 10/30 has just the right amount of thickness for my pancakes. Any thicker and it makes it hard to swallow.