S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Scraping metal noise at around 3600 rev

Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping metal noise at around 3600 rev

Just got my 2007 S back from the shop after getting the transmission replaced (from an 06 with 67k miles) and a new ACT HDSS clutch. The car shift fine, but at 3600+ revs a pretty noticeable metallic scraping noise appears. It does sound like it is coming from the front. It increases in volume a little as revs rise, but it doesn't change pitch or anything based on speed. I doubt it is brakes or a wheel bearing or TCT. Maybe the only other detail of note is that there is a small judder when letting the clutch out from a stop. It is very difficult to start smoothly with this clutch. Not sure if that is normal or not. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

A shop. Ugh. The head snips with the things they probably did wrong.

What clutch was used?

Was the flywheel and pp resurfaced or replaced with new or not touched at all?

What non oem Honda clutch parts were used? (note, Exedy so called oem is NOT oem)

What parts of the clutch did they lube, and what did they lube it with? (My guess is no lube used)

This noise, does it occur even if you are not moving? Rev engine at a stop, etc?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
A shop. Ugh. The head snips with the things they probably did wrong.

What clutch was used?
-ACT HDSS
Was the flywheel and pp resurfaced or replaced with new or not touched at all?
-They said it was resurfaced.
What non oem Honda clutch parts were used? (note, Exedy so called oem is NOT oem)
-Should be ACT clutch and resurfaced Oem flywheel.
What parts of the clutch did they lube, and what did they lube it with? (My guess is no lube used)
-I dont know.
This noise, does it occur even if you are not moving? Rev engine at a stop, etc?
-I can rev it with the clutch pushed in to 3600 revs and it sounds fine. If I rev it in neutral with the clutch engaged it sounds mostly fine. I can rev it to about 4k, let off the gas and there is a slight rattle at as engine revs die.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exhaust heat shield somewhere?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Halfassjack
Exhaust heat shield somewhere?
Possibly, how would I check for that? How could that make a scraping noise? Maybe it is touching the drive shaft?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:02 PM

Car not moving....drive shaft not moving. Rev motor to 6000 and let off quickly while in neutral with car stopped.....do you hear the noise?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 PM

Car not moving....drive shaft not moving. Rev motor to 6000 and let off quickly while in neutral with car stopped.....do you hear the noise?
wont that ruin the clutch?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Car/transmission/gearshift in neutral. Parking brake on/up. Push clutch pedal in/down. Start car. Leave car/transmission in neutral. Let clutch pedal off/up. Push down accelerator reving motor to 6000 quickly and let accelerator pedal off/up quickly. Did you hear noise?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:49 PM

I think I know what it is. Had the same issue when I got my clutch replaced. My shop left out a bolt that attaches the header bracket to the engine. Look underneath the car and you should see a missing bolt. Your symptoms match mine 100%
Old 05-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Car/transmission/gearshift in neutral. Parking brake on/up. Push clutch pedal in/down. Start car. Leave car/transmission in neutral. Let clutch pedal off/up. Push down accelerator reving motor to 6000 quickly and let accelerator pedal off/up quickly. Did you hear noise?
Originally Posted by Top_down
I think I know what it is. Had the same issue when I got my clutch replaced. My shop left out a bolt that attaches the header bracket to the engine. Look underneath the car and you should see a missing bolt. Your symptoms match mine 100%

I will check out both of these things tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Scraping metal noise at around 3600 rev