S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Scraping metal noise at around 3600 rev

Old 05-20-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what you are talking about?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:25 AM

I bent that bracket back alittle, took it for a test drive and the sound is gone. That was the problem. Thanks for the help every one!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:21 PM

Well, that sound is back. Now it occurs at lower RPM (Around 2500 or lower). Just checked the bracket again and there should be plenty of space so the sound must be coming from some place else. Is it normal for an aftermarket clutch to make that noise just because it is new or not a stock clutch?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:26 PM

Any one? Thinking it could be brakes since it sat for about a month while getting fixed. Maybe diff? If it was the diff, what other symptoms would appear?
Old 06-07-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Wait, so you didn't actually put the missing bolt for that bracket back in, but instead just bent it out of the way, so if it vibes it won't hit anything?

That is not a fix. That bracket is there for a reason, and its an S bend for a reason. That reason clearly seems to be to act as a sort of spring/support. It absorbs vibes. Without it in place, I wouldn't be surprised if the exhaust system had a tendency to cause vibes and noise.

Get a bolt, and mount it back up.

You mentioned what if its the brakes. This is really confusing us, because your original post quoted rpms as the definitive scenario where the issue is reproduced. That implies you already ruled out things like gliding along at that same vehicle speed coasting in neutral. Otherwise you should have told us the mph where the issue occurs, not engine rpm. That just sends down the wrong troubleshooting paths.

You gotta do your due diligence before posting asking for help, if you want good answers and don't want smart people here to abandon you for laziness.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Wait, so you didn't actually put the missing bolt for that bracket back in, but instead just bent it out of the way, so if it vibes it won't hit anything?

That is not a fix. That bracket is there for a reason, and its an S bend for a reason. That reason clearly seems to be to act as a sort of spring/support. It absorbs vibes. Without it in place, I wouldn't be surprised if the exhaust system had a tendency to cause vibes and noise.

Get a bolt, and mount it back up.

You mentioned what if its the brakes. This is really confusing us, because your original post quoted rpms as the definitive scenario where the issue is reproduced. That implies you already ruled out things like gliding along at that same vehicle speed coasting in neutral. Otherwise you should have told us the mph where the issue occurs, not engine rpm. That just sends down the wrong troubleshooting paths.

You gotta do your due diligence before posting asking for help, if you want good answers and don't want smart people here to abandon you for laziness.
Thanks. I have talked to fellow owners at an S2k meet. One of them was a mechanic. I took him for a ride and he wasn't sure what it was. I have looked under the car several times while it was up on jacks. I have spun the wheels to see if it was brakes or wheel bearings. I have been driving it trying to pinpoint exactly when the sounds starts and if anything makes it stop. No luck. Sorry for any mixed information.

What I know:
- Sounds like metal scraping on metal, not grinding, not buzzing, chattering.
- Might occur at low speed/low rpm, but is not audible.
- Becomes noticeable at around 40 mph. Is more apparent with the windows up or when driving by barriers (reflects more sound)
- Gets louder as speed increases, but does not change in pitch. Doesn't seem to correlate to engine rpm (in pitch or tone, it's just a constant sound), braking, coasting in neutral with or without clutch engaged.
- Changes very slightly if accelerating or engine braking.

I guess I will just take it back to the shop. Thought it would be easy to narrow down, but I guess now. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds like a small amount or rotor scrub, could be backing plate but most likely the pads or calipers. Hope you find it!
The following users liked this post:
JMChristopher (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 09:54 AM

I took it to a different shop than the one that originally did the work. They put it up on a hoist and ran it in gear. The scraping sound definitely comes from the driveshaft and differential. There is excess play in the drive shaft where it connects to the transmission too.
This might also explain the bit of juddering when letting of the clutch from a stop.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:28 PM

It finally got sorted. The bearing at the back of the transmission was going bad. I got it replaced and the sound is gone.