S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Scratches on Cylinder walls okay? w/ PICS

Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratches on Cylinder walls okay? w/ PICS

Been tearing apart a project car I just bought. Been trying to find out whats my best option on rebuilding this motor. I already got my head rebuilt. What do you guys think about the cylinder walls? block as 180k on it. Some of the scratches catches with my finger nail but nothing crazy. If it is bad what are my options? Sleeving or can I just put in in ap2 piston rings and call it a day?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

If you can catch your fingernail on it, start looking for a used short block or sleeves.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Yea on some of them i can feel my finger nail catch it.. Some people said this is normal wear and tear and will be okay but I wasnt sure
Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be cracking open mine soon, hoping to put in new rings and run with it . I'd be curious on what route you choose be sure to update us
Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM

From what I am reading and hearing if the cylinder walls have any scoring that catches your fingernail its not a good sign. So i am either going to sleeve this block or try and find a used good one.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:01 PM

I talked to my friend that owns a machine shop he said he can machine the old sleeves and put in replacement sleeves that are made out of steel? He said because i am not looking to make big power just to get the car back on the road there is no need for me to spend on darton sleeves. Anyone done this or heard about this?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by JAYDM919
I talked to my friend that owns a machine shop he said he can machine the old sleeves and put in replacement sleeves that are made out of steel? He said because i am not looking to make big power just to get the car back on the road there is no need for me to spend on darton sleeves. Anyone done this or heard about this?
In your instance you would hone the cylinders if possible. Forget the manual, you can use a silicon carbide manual hone(ie dingleberry) use lots of honing oil and work slowly. 800 grit or finer. Toss in new rings and send it. That's your best cheapest and most reliable option. Frankly the bores don't look too bad at all, do any of the scratches that catch your finger extend the full length of the bore?

Or you can put in sleeves and use regular pistons, probably second most reliable option if done properly. You cannot use FRM pistons on a sleeved block.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 PM

Yes some of them scoring is caught by my finger nail but not bad, and no none of them go all the way down.. does anyone know about steel replacement sleeves and running oem pistons? Reading up that sleeving these motors they dont last long.. I dont want to spend 3k on a block and only last 5-10k miles
Old 01-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

0.25 new pistons oem with pro hone.=$
Put it back together, a leak down and run as is or &,bite finger nails
linner =mucho $ with hardwear..
another engine is cheapest option.2-3k.sell the crank ect.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
0.25 new pistons oem with pro hone.=$
Put it back together, a leak down and run as is or &,bite finger nails
linner =mucho $ with hardwear..
another engine is cheapest option.2-3k.sell the crank ect.
I may put the motor back together and see what happens cuz my only best option i see if to find a used motor or block and go from there. I dont plan on boosting this car so its too much money to sleeve and lose its reliability

Quick Reply: Scratches on Cylinder walls okay? w/ PICS