S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Serpentine Belt, found small defect (w/ pics)

Old 12-07-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt, found small defect (w/ pics)

I was just checking my engine and I found a little nick in the serpentine belt. The car is a 2003 but only has 30,000 miles on it. Does it look like it needs replacement or is this just normal wear and tear? Any experience is much appreciated as this is the first car I've ever cared about

Also if you have some knowledge on the risks of this belt failing please let me know, thanks
Attached Thumbnails Serpentine Belt, found small defect (w/ pics)-img_1522.jpg   Serpentine Belt, found small defect (w/ pics)-img_1523.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM

I wouldn't worry about it
Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by drewz
I was just checking my engine and I found a little nick in the serpentine belt. The car is a 2003 but only has 30,000 miles on it. Does it look like it needs replacement or is this just normal wear and tear? Any experience is much appreciated as this is the first car I've ever cared about

Also if you have some knowledge on the risks of this belt failing please let me know, thanks
I couldn't get your pics to show up clearly, but chances are your belt is nearing the wear mark on the tensioner at that age, have a look at the wear indicator, if it is near the end of the wear indicator change out the belt. It is easy to do and you can get a Goodyear Gatorback for about $20.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by drewz' timestamp='1323297619' post='21219254

I couldn't get your pics to show up clearly, but chances are your belt is nearing the wear mark on the tensioner at that age, have a look at the wear indicator, if it is near the end of the wear indicator change out the belt. It is easy to do and you can get a Goodyear Gatorback for about $20.
I read about it, its the little box that lines up with the arrow on the non-moving part of the tensioner, correct? Is it on the top, I'm not sure the exact location? I'll have a look tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by drewz
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1323302187' post='21219465
[quote name='drewz' timestamp='1323297619' post='21219254']

I read about it, its the little box that lines up with the arrow on the non-moving part of the tensioner, correct? Is it on the top, I'm not sure the exact location? I'll have a look tomorrow.
[/quote]

Yeah it is on top of the tensioner, with the arrow mark on the moving part of the tensioner and the indentation on the non-moving part. As belt stretches the mark moves towards the right side of the indentatioin box at which point the belt should be changed. I've got a post on it somewhere on this site.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM

If its cracked or torn just change it out. Its easy to DIY. You can even rent a special belt tool free from autozone if you dont have one to make it even easier. It isnt worth the headache and possibility of more damage if it were to break while driving.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Replace it. The rubber is getting old.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by drewz' timestamp='1323302439' post='21219474
[quote name='JFUSION' timestamp='1323302187' post='21219465']
[quote name='drewz' timestamp='1323297619' post='21219254']

[/quote]

Yeah it is on top of the tensioner, with the arrow mark on the moving part of the tensioner and the indentation on the non-moving part. As belt stretches the mark moves towards the right side of the indentatioin box at which point the belt should be changed. I've got a post on it somewhere on this site.
[/quote]

My indicator is still within the box but right before the end of the little box. I should probabbly buy the gator belt online, I can't see it anywhere on the autozone or advance auto parts site...
Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM

I found the belt on Napa's site in the past, but you can likely find one on ebay, and you can get the part number on Goodyear's site.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:56 PM

replace it. its cheap and if it fails wile driving your water pump wont be doing much

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt, found small defect (w/ pics)