S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shaking at low RPM driving

Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting. Never had a car that could do that before. Will definetly try it out. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Any manual car in the world will start moving if you slowly let the clutch up. Key word being 'slowly'.

Let the clutch up a little. You'll feel the idle dip. Pause your left foot until the wheels start moving a bit. Then bring your left foot up all the way.

It doesn't work too well going uphill, though.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Idling along in 1st is just being in 1st gear and moving along without touching any pedals. You drive along in 1st at your engine's idle speed.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Is your low idle situation like this:

If it is, try the MAP whack technique.

I get this periodically the last month since I moved to super hot Phoenix. She will idle down to 600 RPM and shake like she wants to die (it's too hot Thomas...I can't make it, you go on without me big guy) and just whack the MAP sensor with my strong finger knuckle several times and it stops (no need to smash it with tools). I've had the low idle issue happen like twice since I've owned the car but in the last month it's happened a dozen times, I just pop the hood, rap the sensor 4-5 times and it stops. My zip ties are solidly in place as well, check if yours are.
It could also be a dirty or dying IACV.

MAP sensor problems with out cars are well documented TSBs.

I hope yours is an easy fix.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:09 PM

Nsh its not like yours. Mine was literally just what others mentioned above. Now doing the clutch pedal for slow moving traffic has stopped the issue. I was literally lugging my engine at super low speeds.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by xxyion
Nsh its not like yours. Mine was literally just what others mentioned above. Now doing the clutch pedal for slow moving traffic has stopped the issue. I was literally lugging my engine at super low speeds.
Just being devils advocate, but can you confirm you have your MAP sensor securely zip tied and your IACV is clean? Process of elimination.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
Just being devils advocate, but can you confirm you have your MAP sensor securely zip tied and your IACV is clean? Process of elimination.

I appreciate it! This was confirmed when i did my PPI at Blacktrax Performance. They did a very thorough check of the car and gave me a checklist on everything that needed to be fixed and things that might cause issues in the future.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 AM

I appreciate it! This was confirmed when i did my PPI at Blacktrax Performance. They did a very thorough check of the car and gave me a checklist on everything that needed to be fixed and things that might cause issues in the future.
I understand what the issue is now, yes it appears it's figuring out the sweet spots with your clutch engagement points at low speeds. I prefer some slack in my clutch pedal to give me a bit of play especially in traffic (13 years daily driver in Los Angeles) and found that helps me immensely from slipping and burning the clutch and just overall my sanity. A lot of folks like the engagement point to be right at the top of the pedal, like super tight (tons of threads on it, I'll probably get flamed for stating my preference) which for me makes it very difficult to drive in traffic and requires you to be spot on with your transitions in either accel or decel. I find the S2000 tight engagement to have been very difficult to drive or race like that.

Enjoy!
Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
I understand what the issue is now, yes it appears it's figuring out the sweet spots with your clutch engagement points at low speeds. I prefer some slack in my clutch pedal to give me a bit of play especially in traffic (13 years daily driver in Los Angeles) and found that helps me immensely from slipping and burning the clutch and just overall my sanity. A lot of folks like the engagement point to be right at the top of the pedal, like super tight (tons of threads on it, I'll probably get flamed for stating my preference) which for me makes it very difficult to drive in traffic and requires you to be spot on with your transitions in either accel or decel. I find the S2000 tight engagement to have been very difficult to drive or race like that.

Enjoy!

Yes exactly! The engagement point is really high compared to my other vehicles. And maybe i just wasnt used to it. I do prefer a much lower engagement height. I modified my BRZ clutch to have exactly that. However playing with the clutch a bit more and experimenting im getting the hang of moving forward using nothing but. The shaking doesnt happen at all anymore now so that was definetly the issue. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Yes exactly! The engagement point is really high compared to my other vehicles. And maybe i just wasnt used to it. I do prefer a much lower engagement height. I modified my BRZ clutch to have exactly that. However playing with the clutch a bit more and experimenting im getting the hang of moving forward using nothing but. The shaking doesnt happen at all anymore now so that was definetly the issue. Thanks a lot guys!
Here's the best DIY video on adjusting your clutch pedal if you want to give yourself a bit of slack, super simple.