S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shell Rotella T Synthetic

Old 05-13-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell Rotella T Synthetic

I see that Walmart has the subject oil, 5W-40, I believe. I always thought that regular Rotella was pretty good oil, so now am wondering what the experts (Road Rage?) think of the synthetic.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:28 AM

d;

5w-40 is a factory approved viscosity range, but is Rotella approved for gas engines?.

I wouldn't use it if it not API 'SL' rated-if you're have any concerns about warranty issues.

IMO I think it is ok to put synthetic in at any time. The latest Honda manual even says synthetic is ok "if" it is API certified, it meets the same requirements as conventional oil, and is the proper weight (page 130 of the manual).

The only thing they don't relax is the OCI which, again IMO, is the biggest reason you should consider putting oil that costs twice as much in your crankcase.

I am using Delvac 1 as soon as the language in the manual says it's ok, i.e. 3750 miles/6 months.

Regards,
BD
Old 05-14-2004, 01:34 PM

BD,

Yeah, I like synthetic also - I've been using Mobil 1 in my S since 3700 miles. It's got 16800 on it now, and has used about a quart since my 15000 mile change.

As I said, I've known Rotella as a good dino oil in the past, but their synthetic is new to me. It is API SL-rated. See here for specs. I don't choose my oil on the basis of cost, but Walmart has it for $6.27/gallon vs Mobil 1 at $19/five quarts.

Regards,
Denis

By the way, I lived in Newburyport for many years. A nice place, but it's great to drive on the salt-free roads here in the winter.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care about SL-rated personally, but I have 4 gals of Delvac1 - I have seen its UOA's and its VOA. and they are outstanding. My two cases of LE 8130 are SH-rated, and have plenty of the good anti-wear stuff. Actually, LE may not have bothered to reformulate or re-certify - it matters not. But they have plenty of zinc and phos, and we have plenty of years of testing to know they work. The new oils have "replacement" AW additives, and they seem to be doing fine, but my S2000 is not a laboratory test rat, so for now, I 'm sticking with lubes I know work. Delvac is SL-ratyed but has shown it can meet RR's burden of proof, so it is RR-approved.

I will hunt around and see what i can find on the Shell product - but I think it is either mislabeled or you are mistaken that it is a synoil. That price is way too cheap, and most OTR-rated oils cost more to make than their passenger car brethren.

I do not know about Shell's synoil, but you will want to determine if it is rated for "spark" engines, so look for the SL.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:02 PM

If you click my specs link , you will see that it is SH/SJ/SL rated and is indeed synthetic.

$6.27 is a sale price. I see some references to $12-13/gallon on the internet, still cheap. However, as I said, the price is not my primary consideration.

I'm not arguing with you, RR - just trying to get your informed opinion, which I value.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:01 PM

Denis,

If it isn't old stock, $6.27/gal is a great price for a HD oil like Rotella, especially if it's synthetic. I know of a lot of Ford Powerstroke guys that use it with good results.

Like RR says, as long as it's "spark ignition" rated IMO it should be good to go.

Personally, I think these things will run on Mazzola if you change it enough. There is some inner satisfaction to be had in using a premium product as opposed to "ReCon Lube" however.

You may not slow down the oil consumption if you switch however. It seems there may be some truth to the story that an engine will "get use to" the oil it's been using for a while. I don't think its a terrible thing to have a spike in consumption or wear metals after a product change- it will probably be temporary, if unnerving

I'll give Newburyport a wave for you the next time I'm up I95.

Regards,
BD
Old 05-15-2004, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by dhayner
If you click my specs link , you will see that it is SH/SJ/SL rated and is indeed synthetic.

$6.27 is a sale price. I see some references to $12-13/gallon on the internet, still cheap. However, as I said, the price is not my primary consideration.

I'm not arguing with you, RR - just trying to get your informed opinion, which I value.
No problem, I can handle criticism like a grown-up. If that price is confirmed, it is a great deal! I prefer Delvac1, but the diffrences are minor compared to the price.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:56 PM

I did some research for you. The Shell Rotella T is indeed a synoil, althought it is a "child of a lesser god". It is a GIII hydrocracked synoil, like Syntec. By comaprison, Delvac1 is a GIV full syn. However, this UOA posted on BITOG looks quite excellent, and it is Rotella T at about 5K miles as I recall:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...p?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001535

The guy joked that the poster must be buying up all of Wal-Mart's discounted Rotella.

So it appears to be an excellent lube, and as I said, at the price, a complete no-brainer if you live in a hot climate. It is "3R - Road Rage Recommended".
Old 05-18-2004, 05:40 PM

RR,

I appreciate your checking this out. If I were replacing the original fill, I might well go with the Rotella syn. Since I'm happy with the Mobil 1 I'm now using, I think I'll stick with it. I'm kind of reluctant to switch fluids, especially between different manufacturers.

Again, thanks.

Denis
Old 03-23-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Road Rage,May 18 2004, 03:56 PM
I did some research for you. The Shell Rotella T is indeed a synoil, althought it is a "child of a lesser god". It is a GIII hydrocracked synoil, like Syntec. By comaprison, Delvac1 is a GIV full syn. However, this UOA posted on BITOG looks quite excellent, and it is Rotella T at about 5K miles as I recall:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...p?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001535

The guy joked that the poster must be buying up all of Wal-Mart's discounted Rotella.

So it appears to be an excellent lube, and as I said, at the price, a complete no-brainer if you live in a hot climate. It is "3R - Road Rage Recommended".
I personally use the Shell Rotella Synth in my motorcycles and am planning on using it in my S2K. At $13/gallon from walmart, you can't beat the bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: Shell Rotella T Synthetic