S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shifter Knob went limp this morning...

Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Interesting and thanks for the video. So it's in fact not broken, just somehow popped off.
If it doesn't feel to loose I would just pop that back on again, and try not to pull to hard on your lever in the future
Old 02-03-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Interesting and thanks for the video. So it's in fact not broken, just somehow popped off.
If it doesn't feel to loose I would just pop that back on again, and try not to pull to hard on your lever in the future
I can't help it...she gets me so excited sometimes!

Next week I will check it on the pivot ball again, but my theory is that the metal on metal contact inside the cap has caused enough wear to not make this a tight fit anymore. I won't be using it again and risking it popping off again. This is a product failure.

It popped off backing out of a parking spot at 2 MPH.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

While its true some others have occasionally had stock plastic pivot caps break trying to install them. But usually its because they were old and brittle, or cold and brittle. I don't recall anyone else having so much trouble breaking stock ones even with heating them first.

So I'm wondering if maybe there is some weird problem with your shift lever. Like somehow the pivot ball isn't truly round, etc.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

I didn't have any problems with mine, I blasted my shifter with propellant from a compressed air can to freeze it. And my plastics in hot water, inside of a plastic bag lubed with UREA. When I was ready, I pulled the plastics, blasted the shifter, and slid them on with no effort.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
My shifter knob went limp this morning, I understand this is a problem as we get up there in the years...

However, just last year I replaced it with the Molydenum one from Car Garage Amis:
https://www.nengun.com/car-garage-am...0-shift-collar

Is there anything else besides the Pivot Cap that could make the shifter get so loose and limp as demonstrated in the video below? In any gear, on or off I can rotate a couple inches easy...

VIdeo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGLog1sAC0
Same EXACT thing happened to me. I installed the Amis shift collar and after a month or two it went loose. After extracting it I tried to snap it back onto the end of the shifter and it was no longer tight, like the metal had slightly bent.

I replaced with the genuine Honda plastic collar and no issues since.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:09 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I didn't have any problems with mine, I blasted my shifter with propellant from a compressed air can to freeze it. And my plastics in hot water, inside of a plastic bag lubed with UREA. When I was ready, I pulled the plastics, blasted the shifter, and slid them on with no effort.
My physics is failing me. When you heat the plastic piece, does the inside diameter get bigger, or smaller?
Old 02-05-2019, 02:52 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Heat makes materials expand and plastics also gets softer and more pliable.
When things go colder it also makes it smaller.
I'm sure there are some exotic materials that is an exceptions to this general rule though.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been running the garage amis collar since last summer and this winter. no problems of it pop out, i did make sure to remove old grease from the tunnel and replace with honda urea grease.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
@Chris_Lum I'd like to know how all of those you know about failed...not sure it's possible that it 'cracks' or falls apart.
Like i said, i wasn't 100% sure of the details of the failure, just that they failed and the cap fell off (ending up in a limp shifter), which is why i was pretty sure that was also the source of your troubles. Most likely, all the people i know had the exact same failure (cracks were just my guess since i couldn't remember the details).

Quick Reply: Shifter Knob went limp this morning...