S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shifter Knob went limp this morning...

Old 02-01-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Update:

The Garage Car Anus Molybendum shift pivot did in fact completely pop off. It was stuck at the bottom and I had to use a curved sharp tool to twist it out. There are no cracks, or grooves or cuts in the metal, but my theory is that a lot of Molybendum coating has worn off exposing Copper (?), and it must have seized a bit as a result, got stuck (probably reinforced by a suction from all the Urea Grease) and then the shifter just popped out of it.

The only reason I bought this was last year I cracked TWO of the nylon ones after re-greasing the shifter. The Molybendum came recommended and I figured I will never have to take the shifter apart for the rest of my natural life with this mod.

So on the way home I stopped at my dealer and he actually had an OEM pivot cap which I bought. I kept it in super hot almost boiling water for 20 minutes with a new plastic cradle I also had. The cradle was very maleable and snapped on easy as I had the shifter clamped in a vice. But I hair line cracked this new pivot cap ... the THIRD ****ing one!

banghead:

I simply am at a loss on how to replace this part without it breaking. By design the hole is too small for the pivot and I'm jamming 10 pounds of shit into a 9 pound bag. I suspect that ALL pivot caps have hairline fractures in them because it's a shitty design and there's no way around fracturing it in some form just to get it on, whether you can see it or not. I was so angry today that I cursed Shigeru Uehara and wished that he spills soy sauce on his favorite shirt.

But I digress...how are you guys getting this thing on, are you tapping it on with a hammer while it's in a vice? Are you snapping it on with your fingers? Are you slamming it on the ground?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I cracked 2 new pivot caps as well trying to replace them, said fu@k it and left the second one on and drove last season without any problems. Will get a couple more this spring and heat them up good for the second go. Good luck on your next attempt!
Old 02-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Here is a good demo:

Old 02-01-2019, 04:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Yes it is but he also cracks the pivot ball cap upon installation, the rag gets stuck and you can see a grease crack line in the ball cap before he turns it. Just saying, otherwise it is a great how to.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Hate to admit it, but while we're being honest, I also cracked my replacement OEM plastic one and left it on. It was a partial crack beneath the surface and it's been a year, so far so good. Still smooth.

Having said that, I didn't do the boiling water/hair dryer trick at the time, which was my plan for my next attempt. So now I'm just gonna leave it :P
Old 02-02-2019, 02:26 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Thomas Guide could you show us a picture of your broken garage car anus cap please
I got one myself but so far no problems. I think it's made of brass or bronze with a moly coating.
Is it possible to shift and drive the car with a broken cap by the way? I'm thinking just to get home.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:13 AM

Received 207 Likes on 187 Posts

Wow, I guess I’m lucky. I’ve regreased the shifter on both mine without breaking the pivot caps. LOTS of grease, rag on the workbench, and push like there’s no tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You guys should all know by now that grease/lubrication is the key to any successful pivot cap penetration.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Anyone hear reports of the Brass one from Renegade failing?

I went with this

https://renegademotorsports.com/prod...-lever-bushing

instead of the molydenum one from Car Garage Amis.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

By request, here's a video of a slow rotation of the entire piece. It looks structurally fine, but you can see a lot of the molybendum has scraped off. I suspect that over time the metal on metal contact both on the inside and outside of the pivot cap causes enough wear for it to just pop right off.

I unfortunately did not try to put it back on the pivot to see what kind of tolerance there is, but I plan on replacing the cracked pivot cap I have on there now in a week or so so I'll provide more of an update.

@Chris_Lum I'd like to know how all of those you know about failed...not sure it's possible that it 'cracks' or falls apart.

My advice to anyone is if your shifter pivot is installed from the factory, and you don't have any problems with it, and it's in good condition, just leave it alone and don't replace it. It's just not worth the headache. (I'm going to try for a 4th time to replace the plastic one and one after market one has failed = $150 and 8 hours of time wasted on this so far)

Quick Reply: Shifter Knob went limp this morning...