S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

should I toss this Damaged Cylinder Head?

Old 04-13-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I toss this Damaged Cylinder Head?

I've been sitting on this F20C Cylinder Head since my engine blew 3 years ago. (valve spring worn, didnt pull valve up in time, valve snapped after making contact with a piston).

Is this worth selling it to someone so they can repair it - or should I just recycle this piece.

I have a new engine in the car, so I have no use for this head.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Melt it and sell it as aluminum scrap, honestly I don't know how you could fix that combustion chamber. Impossible to weld aluminum to it, the metal is too contaminated. How did the valve spring fail? Or was it a cracked retainer?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can repair that but it will far exceed the cost of replacement. Looks like garage art to me!
Old 04-14-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clean it up and put some glass on it, make it a table or something.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by LeonV
You can repair that but it will far exceed the cost of replacement. Looks like garage art to me!
How? Look at all the pitting on the combustion chamber, valve seat is destroyed, only way to do it is to weld aluminum to the chamber and machine it into the exact same shape, along with new valves guides all around as it seems the other combustion chambers have all burned valves. Furthermore welding dirty aluminum never comes out right and that CC is beyond contaminated.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Smile

The engine saw complete destruction.

This was on an all original 240k mile f20c. I went into vtec in first gear, and heard a noise, and put it into neutral and coasted home. It would not turn over after.

I took the spark plug out, and it was smashed and I could see the valve head was jammed into the piston. The valve didn't drop, as the valve spring/retainer/valve was still in the cylinder head. Just the flat head of the valve was broken off and lodged into the piston.

This occuring right as I go into VTEC, means that my valve spring were probably worn and VTEC (valve open longer) probably made contact with valve and piston.

It was funny, the pieces had gone into the intake manifold, and then back out into other cylinders.

This engine did not have an easy life, as it was eating a quart a week and I knew end was near, but still took it to 9k every chance I got.

Either way, I will probably just clean it and put it as a desk ornament or something. LOL
Old 04-14-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
How? Look at all the pitting on the combustion chamber, valve seat is destroyed, only way to do it is to weld aluminum to the chamber and machine it into the exact same shape, along with new valves guides all around as it seems the other combustion chambers have all burned valves. Furthermore welding dirty aluminum never comes out right and that CC is beyond contaminated.
You just explained it yourself. It's not difficult to clean up aluminum, you have to do the same when welding up any used head.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by only9k
The engine saw complete destruction.

This was on an all original 240k mile f20c. I went into vtec in first gear, and heard a noise, and put it into neutral and coasted home. It would not turn over after.

I took the spark plug out, and it was smashed and I could see the valve head was jammed into the piston. The valve didn't drop, as the valve spring/retainer/valve was still in the cylinder head. Just the flat head of the valve was broken off and lodged into the piston.

This occuring right as I go into VTEC, means that my valve spring were probably worn and VTEC (valve open longer) probably made contact with valve and piston.

It was funny, the pieces had gone into the intake manifold, and then back out into other cylinders.

This engine did not have an easy life, as it was eating a quart a week and I knew end was near, but still took it to 9k every chance I got.

Either way, I will probably just clean it and put it as a desk ornament or something. LOL
Valve spring failure on an s2k? Gotta be the first time I've ever heard that happen, wouldn't be surprised if the valve clearance had gotten so tight it allowed the valve to make contact with the piston in VTEC. Then again stranger things have happened.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:42 AM

I'm thinking the valve dropped due to retainer fatigue.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by LeonV
I'm thinking the valve dropped due to retainer fatigue.
The retainer was still in place. I only took it out a few years after to see the half stem still being held by the retainer.

From the top of the head, it looked like your average cylinder head. Everything was in place.

Quick Reply: should I toss this Damaged Cylinder Head?