S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slight hesitation at low RPM

Old 05-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal s2k
I have the same issue, i posted a thread recently with no real feedback, I have an 07 with 25K.

Its definitely a hesitation after the throttle delivers power briefly, then backs off, then its there again, and its intermittent, and lower RPM 2500-3500. It feels like when VSA cuts power for traction control.
This is EXACTLY how it feels. Not saying this to sound like a dick at all but I'm glad someone else has a similar issue. I hope it's nothing serious, Eyal. If I take off in first gear going normal pace, shift to second and get back on the throttle lightly, then press harder on the pedal it does this. No clue what it is. It's not a studder or jerk, just like a very brief lapse in power as Eyal said.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think i know whats going on. When you shift into second gear, your at a very low RPM where the car is not producing much power or torque. You press on the gas to accelerate but the car has trouble because its producing no power. This makes the car seems like there is a pause or lapse for a second. The car shudders because its trying to accelerate, but cant at the RPM. Than the motor/tranny finally build up some rpms and produces some power to accelerate, and the delay is gone. Hopefully this is you problem and nothing more serious
Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Its because of the Drive By Wire
Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 AM

I think my car used to do this before I installed the Flashpro and Mugen rep intake, which combined took most of the hesitation away. Flashpro fixes some of the low RPM throttle hesitation with DBW and the intake helps do away with heat soak, but I highly doubt your car really has any issue, it's just the nature of our low-torque engines really.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:08 AM

I bought a used 2006 with 31,000 miles and it had this hesitation from day one when briskly accelerating in first gear from a stop

Does not occur in any other gear.

It has nothing to do with using the throttle smoothly.

2006 does not have drive-by-wire.

I just changed the plugs and checked the air filter with no effect.

I will do the throttle body and IAC cleaning and see what happens.

Slardy
Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
I think i know whats going on. When you shift into second gear, your at a very low RPM where the car is not producing much power or torque. You press on the gas to accelerate but the car has trouble because its producing no power. This makes the car seems like there is a pause or lapse for a second. The car shudders because its trying to accelerate, but cant at the RPM. Than the motor/tranny finally build up some rpms and produces some power to accelerate, and the delay is gone. Hopefully this is you problem and nothing more serious
I sold an AP1 for this AP2, and have been driving manual for nearly a decade. Only this ap2, with more torque than the AP1 that should help offset this kind of issue, has done this. My Ap1 never did. It also usually happens between 3000-4000 rpm, give or take a few hundred, so that's well into a good rpm to avoid bog down.

Here is the description from the thread I recently posted, redwing497 I hope you don't mind that I am participating in this thread, finding an answer should help both of us!

Originally Posted by Eyal s2k
I'm having an issue with my 2007 S2000 that seems to be random, and not easily re-creatable. The car has 24,500 miles.

When getting on the throttle in the 2000-4000 RPM (partial throttle, full throttle doesn't seem to do it) sometimes that car will begin to accelerate, then hesitate for less than a second and then keep accelerating. The rpms still increase during this period, it feels like a momentary power loss. It feels very similar to when VSA kicks in to reduce power.

Its not the DBW, since the car clearly responds to the throttle input, then loses the power briefly, then gets it back again.

It's also not a heat soak issue either, as it sometimes happens at times that the engine is not heat soaked.

Loose Observations:
- Seems more prevalent when the temperature is cooler
- The car feels overall slightly slower when this happens, even after the hesitation
- The car seems to be slightly slower when VSA is switched off

I've tried the MAP whack, but i still have the issue. I am considering replacing the MAP sensor, but thought I'd post here. Also thought about the 02 sensor, but at under 25K miles, that would be surprising.

I am suspecting a correlation with VSA, Has anyone had issues with VSA, or something similar to this before? In search I found a user with an 07 describing the same issue, but the thread misdiagnosed the issue and BDW lag, and the owner sold the car for an AP1.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by slardybardfast
I bought a used 2006 with 31,000 miles and it had this hesitation from day one when briskly accelerating in first gear from a stop

Does not occur in any other gear.

It has nothing to do with using the throttle smoothly.

2006 does not have drive-by-wire.

I just changed the plugs and checked the air filter with no effect.

I will do the throttle body and IAC cleaning and see what happens.

Slardy
Slardy, unless you're in another country with a non-US model, I'm pretty sure 2006 was the first year of DBW. Someone else will confirm this but you should probably take a look anyway.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
I see what you're saying but this isn't that typical shudder/bogging when you select too low of a gear. Power delivery is linear, like acceleration will be fine, then stops briefly and then continues. It's very strange. What exactly is a MAP whack? I looked at the DIY and found some info but I'm still not quite clear how to do it and what it actually does. How much is it to replace the MAP sensor?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 AM

IACV service: http://goo.gl/w8HQ5 & http://goo.gl/jUtlH

MAP "whack": http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=19607

MY06 has DBW (in the U.S., at least).

Sounds like improper gear selection. 1st to at least 2500 RPM would be my recommendation, but also try the MAP "whack" and IACV service. Make sure you're on the power gradually. You can give it more throttle as you get up out of the weak part of the power band.

Perhaps you should reset the ECU? Unplug the negative battery cable for 15-30 seconds. I would say this is especially prudent given that it's just now becoming very hot in some parts of the country (I dunno where you're from, though).
Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This can happen revving to 4000-5000 rpm shift as well. For me, it can/has happen(ed) in all gears, including 1st. I know the S2000 power-band intimately, I can tell you right now that this is not a gear selection problem.

I've trying a map whack with little luck, but frankly I'm weary of any "fix" that requires you to hit a sensor. If it needs to be hit every once and a while to operate functionally, it should be replaced.

Again, this feels nearly identical to when VSA pulls power on you. It feels very much like the ecu has deliberately changed the TPS setting or retarded timing for a brief moment.

Should a faulty TPS be considered a possibility?
The following users liked this post:
spaulagain (08-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation at low RPM