S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slight hesitation at low RPM

Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat soak. Happens to everyone.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 PM

Its heat soak, Im CTSC'ed AP1 and it happens to me all the time. same thing with a lot of S owners around here recently now that the temps are in the 90's. some cooling mods may help. When i had a CAI in california I never remember having that issue. My CTSC is non A/C and I notice it big time.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heat soak is a lot more noticeable coming off the line as bog or lack of power. This is not the same as the heat soak I have experienced after a long wait at a stop light in both (especially the AP1) my S2000's.

Power is fully delivered, then retarded, then its there again. I can be cruising down the highway on a 65 degree day and give it ~40% throttle and it'll still do it in 6th gear every once and a while. This is a scenario where heat soak is definitely not a factor.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by NA1NSXR
Heat soak. Happens to everyone.

Originally Posted by drkphnx
Its heat soak, Im CTSC'ed AP1 and it happens to me all the time. same thing with a lot of S owners around here recently now that the temps are in the 90's. some cooling mods may help. When i had a CAI in california I never remember having that issue. My CTSC is non A/C and I notice it big time.
I see why you would think that, guys, but I have to agree with Eyal on this. I don't think this is a symptom of heat soak. I'm going to also try what Eyal did in 6th gear and see if I get the same. Haven't had the chance to try that yet. Keep in mind, it's not a heat soak bog then power delivery, like heat soak normally is. Power delivery starts off perfectly fine, THEN engine power seems to be cut briefly. I would imagine as revs climb and speed increases, MORE cool air is being introduced into the engine. If it was heat soak, it would probably happen much earlier.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by redwing497
Originally Posted by Eyal s2k' timestamp='1306655872' post='20627924
I have the same issue, i posted a thread recently with no real feedback, I have an 07 with 25K.

Its definitely a hesitation after the throttle delivers power briefly, then backs off, then its there again, and its intermittent, and lower RPM 2500-3500. It feels like when VSA cuts power for traction control.
This is EXACTLY how it feels. Not saying this to sound like a dick at all but I'm glad someone else has a similar issue. I hope it's nothing serious, Eyal. If I take off in first gear going normal pace, shift to second and get back on the throttle lightly, then press harder on the pedal it does this. No clue what it is. It's not a studder or jerk, just like a very brief lapse in power as Eyal said.
Another '06 owner here with the exact same symptoms. Haven't correlated it to any conditions. Doesn't really bother me much, but I'd be interested if anyone comes up with a legitimate fix.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Eyal s2k
heat soak is a lot more noticeable coming off the line as bog or lack of power. This is not the same as the heat soak I have experienced after a long wait at a stop light in both (especially the AP1) my S2000's.

Power is fully delivered, then retarded, then its there again. I can be cruising down the highway on a 65 degree day and give it ~40% throttle and it'll still do it in 6th gear every once and a while. This is a scenario where heat soak is definitely not a factor.
Heat soak occurs at any speed in any gear. Its not just in 1st. I can be cruising in 3rd 4th 5th or 6th and it will happen. If im on the highway in 6th and floor it, it happens. Heak soat also doesnt just occur on hot days. your engine bay will retain alot of the heat that keeps building up especially after long drives or pushing the car causing it to get hotter in the engine bay. It will also only affect it when normal driving to giving it more throttle. If you push through all the gears, i.e racing, you will not be affected by the "bog" except on that initial full throttle. Heat soak is very possibly the issue here, you cant rule it out.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 PM

I had an new 06 that has this same hesitation problem. its like when I gave it full throttle, my head would go forward for a sec. I think its the DBW so i sold it after 3months of owning it. then i bought a 05 and never had this problem again. my brother also have a 05 and dont have hesitation.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 PM

06' and up has this problem. I fixed mine with Flashpro, I love Flashpro.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drkphnx
Originally Posted by Eyal s2k' timestamp='1306887527' post='20635698

Heat soak occurs at any speed in any gear. Its not just in 1st. I can be cruising in 3rd 4th 5th or 6th and it will happen. If im on the highway in 6th and floor it, it happens. Heak soat also doesnt just occur on hot days. your engine bay will retain alot of the heat that keeps building up especially after long drives or pushing the car causing it to get hotter in the engine bay. It will also only affect it when normal driving to giving it more throttle. If you push through all the gears, i.e racing, you will not be affected by the "bog" except on that initial full throttle. Heat soak is very possibly the issue here, you cant rule it out.
The hesitation is rarely experienced under hard driving, usually only when cruising, or rowing the the gears at normal shifting RPMs at maybe 30-40% throttle. These are some of the lower stress and lower heat generating scenarios for the car.

This hesitation is never experienced under full throttle. The ecu goes into its WOT map under full throttle. This is further evidence that it is not heatsoak, and the fact that its not consistant except for the fact that it doesnt happen under full throttle helps remove DBW as an option unless it is not operating properly. Its a hesitation resulting from a momentary electronic retardation of something. Rarely it even feels like the car is stumbling on itself.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 AM

Hello-

I have a US 2006 DBW and it does the same thing. It appears to be some kind of lean condition in the fuel map and is most prominant in 1st and 2nd gear when crossing ~1/4 throttle, triggered around 2,000~4,000 RPM and when cruising with the wife. It never occurs when driving on the highway or at higher RPMs. It is not consistant but happens reguarly.

I previously had a 05 S2K and it _never_ hesitated. Neither does my 2007 DBW Accord so Honda is capable of getting this right...

The car is still awesome though :-) I have learned to live with this very minor wart..

Enjoy your car and take care...

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation at low RPM