S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slight sludge around intake manifold;

Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight sludge around intake manifold;

This may already seem like a dumb question, reason for me asking is because I know that the intake manifold is a royal PITA to remove and re-install.
MY01 w/Ultimate racing turbo kit, 50K miles on odometer.
I've been having coolant leak into my combustion chamber so before assuming it's the head gasket I want to make sure it's not the intake manifold gasket so I could save a $1,000+.
I've had the head and block separated to be built maybe around 35,000 miles ago. During that time the head gasket was replaced with a OEM Honda one.
There's no oil in my coolant, there's no coolant in my oil and there is no sludge in my overflow tank. So I'm a little doubtful that it would be my head gasket.
I've noticed that my coolant slowly disappears while driving my car, and it'll build up in the combustion chamber if I don't allow the car to be warmed up completely before turning it off.
White smoke comes out of the exhaust during start up (not too much) and will stop after just a few minutes of warming up (regardless of weather/temperature outside.) The coolant in the combustion chamber also affects my car's start up. Car doesn't over heat unless I'm running low on coolant.

I was taking a peek around where my intake manifold bolts up against the head and I noticed some slight sludge around where it bolts up and some built up where there are little pockets and contours in the head. I'm also missing a nut on the top intake manifold stud closest to the firewall but all the ones I could reach seemed pretty tight. - I've read that due to the extra heat from turbo the nuts/bolts often back out.

Is this normal? Could a bad intake manifold gasket cause this many problems?
How does a bad intake manifold gasket let coolant or water into the combustion chamber?

Appreciate any help/input, thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

If nuts/bolts are backing out that will cause the issue as coolant can leak where it flows through the manifold and head contact surfaces. Once that happens it can get sucked into the intake port on its way to the chamber. A mixture of engine oil and coolant can form sludge. Do you have a Hondata intake manifold gasket by chance ?, they are notorious for leakage. If not then it's probably the loose nuts/bolts causing the issue.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
If nuts/bolts are backing out that will cause the issue as coolant can leak where it flows through the manifold and head contact surfaces. Once that happens it can get sucked into the intake port on its way to the chamber. A mixture of engine oil and coolant can form sludge. Do you have a Hondata intake manifold gasket by chance ?, they are notorious for leakage. If not then it's probably the loose nuts/bolts causing the issue.
Thanks for the input, I had no idea coolant flowed through there.
I actually have an unchanged OEM intake manifold gasket, but while researching I did read that the hondata is quite known for leaking and backing out bolts. Mmm, still not sure if I want to try to pull the manifold off but would save me a lot.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coolant passage on the intake is close to the firewall the missing nut may cause it to leak in #4 runner
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by legros
The coolant passage on the intake is close to the firewall the missing nut may cause it to leak in #4 runner
Is there an actual coolant passage that runs through the intake manifold and head? Are you talking about the IAC line? Confused how coolant would be getting in through there. I'm being told that there's no coolant passage there by some people, but I've read that a bad gasket will leak coolant into the head.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM

There is coolant flow at the #4 cylinder location like mentioned above, the ECT sensor is on the rear manifold, that should tell you that it is in contact with coolant
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
There is coolant flow at the #4 cylinder location like mentioned above, the ECT sensor is on the rear manifold, that should tell you that it is in contact with coolant
I learn new things everyday. Much appreciated. I guess it wouldn't hurt to change the gasket. It's not very expensive and just will require some time. Is there anything wrong with an autoparts store gasket or should I go to my dealership and get one directly from them?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Boss-S2K
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1359516060' post='22301720
I learn new things everyday. Much appreciated. I guess it wouldn't hurt to change the gasket. It's not very expensive and just will require some time. Is there anything wrong with an autoparts store gasket or should I go to my dealership and get one directly from them?
Why don't you try torquing down the bolts and nuts first and see if that stops the leak, if you get it tightened down properly it might be good enough. I've never bought an aftermarket gasket, only Honda part, I'm not saying either one is better I just never new that you could get aftermarket replacements.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM

That would definitely be a great idea, thanks for being a great help JFusion. Bottom bolts are such a pain in the ass to get to.