S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Smoothin shift knotchiness towards end of shift (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/smoothin-shift-knotchiness-towards-end-shift-1172763/)

Janus00 05-10-2017 11:34 AM

Smoothin shift knotchiness towards end of shift

I have done a ton of searching on this topic and I'm trying to find the cause of this problem.

My shifting timeline is as follows:

1.Push in clutch (fine)
2.Move out of gear (fine)
3. Push shifter into gear (this is where I have the issue)

Now I realize that 2 and 3 are one smooth movement. The issue I'm having is that the end of the very end of the shift pushing the shifter into gear is notchy, almost "crunchy" but nothing is grinding. The movement is still smooth, but its not "buttery" smooth. Is this normal?

The transmission fluid has been replaced, (Honda MTF), and the shifter was regreased. I have a AMIS S2000 Shift Collar installed on the shifter, and the clutch fluid has been drained and refilled with clean fluid.
The only other things I can think of are smoothing out the ball end of the slave cylinder piston that moves the shift fork and regreasing that whole assembly, OR, replacing the CMC or SC thinking that they're not working right. I am not leaking any clutch fluid anywhere at all. Any ideas?

Billman250 05-10-2017 12:03 PM

Can't follow your post.

Are you saying, for example, that shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear is clunky? Or are you talking about clunkyness while not in motion?

Janus00 05-11-2017 08:08 AM

Sorry Billman let me explain better.

While moving, in almost any gear, putting the car into gear feels excessively notchy toward the end of the shift. It doesn't feel as though the shifter is smoothly moving into the next gear. I am ensuring that the clutch pedal is being pressed all the way down.

I never tried while stopped with the engine off or on. If you'd like to know about that, I'll check the next time I'm in the car.

Billman250 05-11-2017 08:47 AM

Number one causes:

-clutch rod adjustment
-clutch fluid
-rusted input spline
-driver input (too low RPM, too long of pause between gears: mainshaft speeds falls)

Things that wont help, or mask above problems:

-trans fluid service (still good idea)
-greasing shifter

Janus00 05-11-2017 09:09 AM

There is no free play in the clutch pedal, but you recommend trying to adjust it?
The clutch fluid was changed, but that was 5k and 6 months ago. I can change it again.
I seem to have better success shifting around 4k. I'll try shifting quicker as well.

Thanks for your input.

Billman250 05-11-2017 09:47 AM

If there is no play in the clutch pedal, you will fry the release bearing in no time, as well as the rest of the clutch.

Find the video by Soviet and set it correctly.

Janus00 05-11-2017 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250 (Post 24206084)
If there is no play in the clutch pedal, you will fry the release bearing in no time, as well as the rest of the clutch.

Find the video by Soviet and set it correctly.

I haven't messed with the clutch pedal adjustment since I bought the car, and I know the previous owner who owned the car for 10 years didn't do the same. I won't mess with it and assume its fine. When I say "no play" maybe I don't think I understand what that means. There is no preload on the clutch pedal. I will look for the video and see if I need to make an adjustment.

Janus00 05-11-2017 10:06 AM

For anyone curious this is the video he's talking about I believe.

Chuck S 05-11-2017 10:46 AM

You can safely take the first stage of the clutch travel. Leave the second state alone.

I thought I was being given the "new gun" treatment a couple of years ago when I was told to shift at 4300 rpm or higher. Darn! It works!

-- Chuck

Janus00 05-11-2017 10:55 AM

I realized I have been shifting at 3-3.5k, Billman recommends 5k in his previous threads, I will give that a try.