S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Someone Explain Why Skip Shifting Is Bad

Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by james0933
Rowing through the gear without engaging the clutch is still ok, correct? Or not ideal?
Read the following ...........................
Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Now.. its never bad to ask questions.
But... suppose someone wants to learn how to drive.
First lesson in the car.
First question by student: "What's that round thing in front of me?"
Maybe... that person should not drive at all.
(get my point?)

Old 06-08-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol, s2ki does not benefit from dick attitudes. I mean no offense, but everyone starts from the same place.

At one point you didn't know what that round thing was.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I skip shifted today by accident, I went from 2nd gear into 5th, that was followed by a nice clunk noise. If it sounds bad it probably is bad - just a theory

In a thread that was put up about 10 days ago someone suggested not skip shifting during downshifting in addition to upshifting, I don't believe that to be an issue, skip shifting down is perfectly fine if you know what you are doing. Skip shifting up is where the problems occur.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I skip shifted today by accident, I went from 2nd gear into 5th, that was followed by a nice clunk noise. If it sounds bad it probably is bad - just a theory

In a thread that was put up about 10 days ago someone suggested not skip shifting during downshifting in addition to upshifting, I don't believe that to be an issue, skip shifting down is perfectly fine if you know what you are doing. Skip shifting up is where the problems occur.

Yep....that's my understanding as well.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 06-08-2013, 12:02 PM

That's what I was referring to.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION

Did the same at high RPM and it reminded me of this thread hehe
Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM

If damage is inevitable by skip shifting, then how do some manufacturers (like GM) protect themselves from claims when they force you to 1-4 skip shift as in the Corvette?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by JERO
If damage is inevitable by skip shifting, then how do some manufacturers (like GM) protect themselves from claims when they force you to 1-4 skip shift as in the Corvette?
You know why they call it "CAGS"? "Computer Assisted Gear Selection". The Viper had it, too. The ECU will NOT allow the gear lever to go into the next slot until the rpm of input and output shafts of the tranny are within acceptable parameters. Human operators cannot be guaranteed to be that precise each time, every time. That's why my first response here said "if done right, no harm will come". Can you do it right every time?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 PM

I didn't claim to, but thanks for the response. I was unaware that they forced you to wait during the 1-4 shift.

Interesting.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 PM

"GAGS" was not so much as to allow you to shift 1 to 4, but it was there to prevent you from going 1 to 2. When rpm, throttle position, road speed, etc was determined to be in a specified range, a gate would slide over to direct the shifter into 4th. CAGS could easily be defeated or fooled by altering the rpm, throttle position and holding 1st a little longer. CAGS was meant as a fuel saving measure.

Quick Reply: Someone Explain Why Skip Shifting Is Bad