S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*

Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*

Hi There,

I had a pretty substantial oil leak from my F20C motor that I didn't notice until the worst occurred. I am fairly positive that I have at least 1 spun rod bearing (Engine knock at 3,000 rpm and above). I am taking apart the engine (bottom of the car) so that I can see what damage there is. I have read 15-20 threads that have never given definitive answers or steps on doing all of this work so I have been reading the service manual and learning about everything myself. Perhaps, there is an expert that can answer a few questions for me.

1. If the crank is not scored and the cylinder/block walls are not scratched, will I be fine after replacing the bad rod bearing?
2. If the crank is scored and the cylinder/block walls are not scratched, will I be fine after replacing the bad rod bearing and the crank?
3. What other potential problems in the engine should I be looking for?

Pending on my findings I plan to replace the bad bearing (probably all the rod bearings actually) and if crank/walls are fine then I will put everything back together and do a compression test. If I get solid numbers on all cylinders then I think that I will be fine. I fully realize that there is a possibility of the main bearings, etc. of being faulty as well which is why I will check the oil pan contents 1 week after driving the vehicle.

Furthermore, I did not find any step by step process of doing all of this or any threads with a well thought-out explanation on how to assist with this problem. I know that many people just buy another engine and swap it, but I think that is a bit excessive. I find it therapeutic taking apart the engine anyway.

If I were to purchase a new F20C is there a specific vendor that has good prices? Thanks a lot for your advice and help. If there is anything you want to point out that I am not aware of then please do so.

P.S.
I found a significant amount of metal shavings in the oil pan which are likely one of the bearings.

P.P.S.
The engine has 68,000 miles on it.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put a used motor in, or a new honda shortblock. Save myself the headache.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM

f22 swap do it to it
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by apme123
I would put a used motor in, or a new honda shortblock. Save myself the headache.
Well, I am not too worried about having the car in the garage for a few months. Track season starts in May for me so I just need the engine running by then. On the bright side of things, I am glad that after all of this I will be much more knowledgeable about the F20C and very vigilant in the future when it comes to my engine. I wonder what it would take to design a better sensor to keep real-time data on the oil levels of the vehicle? (I do some embedded systems work)
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Learn to check your oil, I am sure after an expensive lesson like this you will be checking it every fill up. "BOTH SIDES OF THE DIPSTICK"
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by apme123
Learn to check your oil, I am sure after an expensive lesson like this you will be checking it every fill up. "BOTH SIDES OF THE DIPSTICK"
Indeed, I was a bit naive about the oil consumption of the F20C engine. I have been doing regular oil changes every 3000 miles with the OEM oil filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic. I checked my oil before and after all track days, but I never thought to check it every fill up since I am always so busy each day. It is definitely an expensive lesson considering I did not account for any potential oil leaks occurring.

On a tangent, I plan to do a full write-up with pictures (documenting everything) on checking the bearings etc. Hopefully, it will help others.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

In general... Spun rod bearings mean:

Crank = Throw away
Rod with spun bearing = Throw away.

Either replace the crank and that rod(s) and balance, or just replace the shortblock.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO

Crank = Throw away

Either replace the crank and that rod(s) and balance, or just replace the shortblock.
Replacing the crank, rods, and bearings will be substantially more cost-effective than purchasing a new shortblock, correct? As I said, I am willing to pull the engine and do all of the work.

I figure that it will be around $1000-$1500 vs. $2500 - $4000 for a new block.

Also, I am going to take calipers to the crank this weekend and also check to see if it is marred/burned etc.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Norccer
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1359065358' post='22290409

Crank = Throw away

Replacing the crank, rods, and bearings will be substantially more cost-effective than purchasing a new shortblock, correct? As I said, I am willing to pull the engine and do all of the work.

I figure that it will be around $1000-$1500 vs. $2500 - $4000 for a new block.

Also, I am going to take calipers to the crank this weekend and also check to see if it is marred/burned etc.
If your in Florida, a member is selling a F22c block with decent miles for $1300. reason for sell is, he just decided to build is block, he's willing to ship it....Here you go
Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Norccer
Originally Posted by apme123' timestamp='1359063718' post='22290310
Indeed, I was a bit naive about the oil consumption of the F20C engine. I have been doing regular oil changes every 3000 miles with the OEM oil filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic. I checked my oil before and after all track days, but I never thought to check it every fill up since I am always so busy each day. It is definitely an expensive lesson considering I did not account for any potential oil leaks occurring.

On a tangent, I plan to do a full write-up with pictures (documenting everything) on checking the bearings etc. Hopefully, it will help others.
From what ive read on here, the F20c EATS Mobil 1 like a teenager on a pot binge. I use Penzoil Platinum full syn and I would say I add about 2/3 a quart between the 7K miles I drive before a change. Really sucks this happened to you but like they always say, you live..you learn..

Quick Reply: Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*