S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sssssss sound from transmission

Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sssssss sound from transmission

Hi guys,

New member, trying to help a friend with his s2000.
He's started to have a hard time getting the car into gear.
We have now changed to 1.6 litres of Honda MTL and also did a clutch fluid change because it was filthy black.

When changing the clutch fluid by gravity, nothing came out. We had to pump the pedal to get some flushing movement through the system. Also when we jacked the car up on the left hand side, the fluid container was almost empty.

Bled the clutch and went for a drive. Now there's a "sssssss" noise while moving and trying to put the car into gear. Any gear. And 4-6 is really hard to hit over 2k rpm.
The "sssssss" starts when moving the lever, and stops when he releases the clutch fully. Bite point of clutch is quite low.

What could be the cause of this? Bad clutch? Bad master cylinder? Since it's happening on all gears, it shouldn't be the trans, right? Do syncros on 4-6 doesn't usually go bad in these gearboxes?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:10 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Sounds like the clutch (to this non-expert).

But "asking for a friend" with your first post makes little sense. Your friend illiterate and unable to post here himself? Cutting out the middleman usually eases communications.

-- Chuck
Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Sounds like the clutch (to this non-expert).

But "asking for a friend" with your first post makes little sense. Your friend illiterate and unable to post here himself? Cutting out the middleman usually eases communications.

-- Chuck
Well, I see your point.

I just had a slow day at work and figured since I've tried to help him diagnose the problems without a final solution, I wanted to pick your brains with this issue.

Thanks, and if anyone else has any input or thoughts, I appreciate them alot
Old 09-26-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Does the hissing noise get louder or quieter, while pushing the clutch pedal to the floor?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Does the hissing noise get louder or quieter, while pushing the clutch pedal to the floor?
It goes quiet when he's returning the shifter to neutral (clutch down) The noise is there as soon as he starts moving the shifter to select a gear, say 1 or 2nd, and still sounds until he puts load on the gearbox.
We put 1.6 litres into the box itself, until the fluid started coming out of the filler plug. Car was level. I've read a few people like to as just a small amount more.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:10 AM

So the noise goes away, when you release the clutch pedal? Regardless, if the car is in gear or not --- as long as engine is on.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 AM

So the noise goes away, when you release the clutch pedal? Regardless, if the car is in gear or not --- as long as engine is on.
Yes. The noise goes away when in neutral or after releasing the clutch pedal with the engine running.
Its as I'f you grind a gear, but stays that way if you keep the clutch pedal down and have the car in gear. But it's not a grinding noise, more a hiss or sssssss sound.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:20 AM

Sounds like the throw-out bearing.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Sounds like the throw-out bearing.
Is the throw out bearing pushing or pulling? If it breaks completely, would the clutch engage or disengage?
If we put the car on Jacks we'll see if the clutch is slipping/not disengaging properly.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 PM

Throw-out bearing makes most noise as it touches and pushes the pressure plate fingers. When clutch pedal is up (clutch not engaged) --- the bearing is not touching the pressure plate fingers (or barely touching) --- thus, least amount of noise.

Maybe, this video will help:

Quick Reply: Sssssss sound from transmission