S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

stock air filter... where?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default stock air filter... where?

Disclaimer: Search has not been my friend this morning.

stock 2007 s2000, 21K miles. Decided to replace air filter. Notgoing to a CAI or other such system "at this time" but maybe later, just wanted to replace stock element.

Went to the three major auto parts discount houses (Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advance) in the region. No S2000 filters and in some cases not even a listing. One of the three offered to special-order -- no thanks.

Is this normally a dealer-only item? I know the S2000 is not a major-volume car... but an air filter element? After seeing what the dealer wants to a simple oil filter, I sudder to think what they want for an air filter. Maybe time to mail-order.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the filter is very specific for the s2000's airbox. Alot of cars can use the same air filter for a variety of cars, ours you cannot. I would just go to somewhere online and buy a K&N filter. Dont have to waste money replacing it every so often. Just buy a cleaning kit and clean it when it needs it.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Agreed. Most S2000 parts are never going to be in stock any place you go, even the dealer (outside of small items). You are better off going with a drop in K&N filter. Will still have to be ordered at the auto store, but it's worth it and doesn't cost you extra for doing so. The K&N will run you between $60-$70. I think Autozone usually has it for cheapest, but online might be a better deal.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"you'll find it on eeeeBBbBaaaayyy!!"
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM

Scrap the K&N and just stick with an OE filter for ~$25. K&N filters do more harm than good. Recently, someone posted a few pics of a Wix filter picked up at a NAPA store. It looked to be a high quality replacement.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:18 AM

^ How would a K&N do more harm than good? I've had mine for a long time with no problems. SOME people say it doesnt have as good filtration than other filters, but what about any high flow filter? If more air can get in, so can small particles of dirt and such. Plus anything that can go through the filter will just burn up in the combustion chamber. Its not going to harm anything.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 AM

No problems that you've noticed. Unless metal shavings were dumping out of your engine during oil changes or you were running UOAs consistently, you would be none the wiser. Using your logic, why run a filter at all? AND for 1-2hp, why bother?

It has been proven that K&N filters are inferior products when it regards to filtering. The only folks that disagree is K&N. A good air filter if your first defense at keeping harmful particles out of you engine's life blood, most of which is silica. Silica won't be buring up in the combustion process.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ebay or majestic honda (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by orangebarius,Jul 12 2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks.

$26.68 for OEM? Somewhat of an "ouch"! And I haven't getten as far as shipping costs yet.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonCrew,Jul 12 2010, 12:05 PM
No problems that you've noticed. Unless metal shavings were dumping out of your engine during oil changes or you were running UOAs consistently, you would be none the wiser. Using your logic, why run a filter at all? AND for 1-2hp, why bother?

It has been proven that K&N filters are inferior products when it regards to filtering. The only folks that disagree is K&N. A good air filter if your first defense at keeping harmful particles out of you engine's life blood, most of which is silica. Silica won't be buring up in the combustion process.
I understand that. Im saying that any high flow filter will do that, not just a K&N. I bet over half of the people on this site have a K&N or some kind of high flow filter on their car. I have never seen a case where there was proof that their air filter was the cause of their engine screwing up. I honestly think if you keep the filter cleaned, do oil changes on a regular basis, and do simple maintenance your not really going to have a problem. If silica does start building up inside of your engine, im sure it would take some time for that to happen.

Quick Reply: stock air filter... where?